Ring and Pinion Help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 04:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ring and Pinion Help

When I bought my jeep it had 4.56's in the back and stock gears in the front. I have never done a ring and pinion before but figured what the heck. Last week end I took it apart and removed the carrier axles etc. Now I want to put it back together with the new gears. I have a few questions.

1. I had to pry the carrier out. When I did the seats for the bearings came flying out of the housing. I have no idea which was on the left and which was on the right. Is this a problem?

2. My book shoed removing the carrier before taking off the large nut on the pinion gear. Now that the carrier is out how do I hold the pinion gear still while the impact wrench goes to work on teh pinion nut?

3. I know to start the shimming process with what is already there, but since I have to pull and press the bearings off each time will I ruin the bearings as I try to get the shims right through trial and error?

4. Is there anything else I should replace besides seals and bearings while I have the thing apart?

Thanks

Shawn

82 CJ-7, stock 258, Chrysler 999 auto, 5" lift, 33" tires, 4.56 gears, detroit locker/1 piece axles in the rear. Daily driver....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 05:25 PM

Re: Ring and Pinion Help

1. Are you taling about the shims for the carrier bearings? Those are what sets the preload on the bearings; it's a problem because they usually give you a starting point when you are doing your setup, but not a real big deal.

2. Put a large pipe wrench on the yoke. This will hold it still while you buzz the nut off.

3. You'll mess up the shims and possibly the bearings unless you are super careful. Carefully press off your old bearings. Now take some emory cloth and start honing the inside of the bearing. Keep at it until it will tightly slide on and off the carrier by hand. You now have a set of set-up bearings; this makes swapping shims from side to side easy; go ahead and set up your r&p; when you are satisfied with everything, the last thing you do is press on the new bearings.

4. Install locker.

Max

82 CJ, some stuff stock, some stuff not
Have you hugged your Jeep today?
http://www.alpine14rs.org
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 05:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi,
1. Don't know. Probably. Bearings wear into their races and each is unique, so don't mix races and rollers/balls from used bearings.

2. it won't be easy. That nut could require 300+ft-lbs to get off. You may have to make a special wrench to hold the output yoke still while you wrench on the nut. Some kind of bfpipe wrench might work. You should always remove the pinion nut first.

3. Yes, you will ruin the bearings. an easy solution is to get an extra set of bearings and ream them out just enough so that you can slide them off and on easily. This will save time and effort in the long run.

4. Check the condition of the spider gears, carrier, and axle shafts carefully before you assemble them. I had a spider gear fail on my front axle which broke the carrier. Clean the crud out of your breather; that will keep the new seals happy. You may want to put in a magnetic drain plug, too.

Regards,
Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 05:38 PM
Official Historian

Here's a little help with the pinion shims. The old and new gear will have a + or - dimension stamped on the flat of the gear end of the pinion. The difference between the old and new will tell you how much in shims you need to add or remove.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 06:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thank you all very much! I love this board. I'll Take everyones advice and let you know how it goes this weekend.

I will have to buy a pipe wrench to get the nut off, but that is preferrable to putting all back together so the tires can hold the nut stable.

I have an "install" kit that I hope has new bearing seats.

As for the locker, I am contemplating it. There is a guy (maybe on this board) selling a brand new lockrite for $230. Not much cheaper than store bought, but I may go for it.

Thanks again. I am a backyard mechanic type and have never ventured into the differentials or transmissions, transfercases etc. Since I have an extra car right now i figured what the heck. Then I got the thing apart and realized I was kind of lost. Oh well this is how we learn. Thanks again for the help.

Shawn

82 CJ-7, stock 258, Chrysler 999 auto, 5" lift, 33" tires, 4.56 gears, detroit locker/1 piece axles in the rear. Daily driver....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode