YJ Mirror Relocation Question - what works??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

YJ Mirror Relocation Question - what works???

My son has a 95 YJ with hard top and full hard doors. We took the doors and top off, but I hate driving it without mirrors. He ordered some of relocation brackets from JCWhitney and when I saw they were SH, they got returned.

Next he ordered a set of mirrors that were supposed to mount using existing windshield hinge holes. I think they are going to work good on my CJ3a. What have some of you used and what has worked the best???

I found a bracket from Warrior Products that looks like it relocates the original mirror by using a bracket on the windshield hinge, and it appears to be black powdercoated.(I hate chrome). This sounds like what we want cause the mirrors could stay put whether doors were on or off. Has anyone tried these? Opinions etc....

Thanks
BP

Brent & Sons
49-CJ3A, 51-CJ3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Re: YJ Mirror Relocation Question - what works???

btt

Brent & Sons
49-CJ3A, 51-CJ3A
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 07:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I had the same problem. Score yourself some windshield hinges off of a CJ-7 or you could take your hinges and drill and tap them. You'll also need CJ-7 mirrors. The passenger side mirror is a wierd one. It's not like most passenger side mirrors that are curved. So you have to angle it so you can look at it through the windshield. I have mine setup just about perfect. Directly pointed at my blind spot. Good luck!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Eat, Sleep, JEEP[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44 w/Detroits and 4.56 soon to go in SOA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 07:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've seen a guy driving a yj around town with his mirrors mounted on the front of the windshield hinge. I havn't been able to get a good look at them but they look like what you are talking about. I think that's what they sell in the 4wd hardware catalog. I'm seriously thinking about getting some for my cj.

82cj7,258,np435,weber,hei,rhino lining
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 03:06 AM

I have a set of YJ mirror relocator on my CJ7. With Yj mirrors, I they are Sun Performance brand. I got them from 4wd Hardware. they mount on the front side of the lower windshield hinge. So I had to make an extension at work so i could see out of the pass. side mirror. (It sat too far forward to see the whole mirror.) I moved the mirror back 2.5" and it works great. CJ mirrors are worthless in my opinion..
Maybe the Warrior brackets would work better since they bolt to the lower part of the hinge on the outside instead of the front. Rosser has them and I know Desert Rat has them for $25 + shipping. (warrior brand)

just a thought

76 CJ7, 258,Jeep T18, D20 TC, D30 & AMC20.
4" Superlift, 33" SSR's
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 10:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a set of the SS mirrors that won't work on my YJ b/c of the snorkle. If someone wants them I will let them go for 1/2 of what I paid(and I got them cheap) plus shipping. Nothing wrong with them, they just wouldn't fit over my snorkle. They are the style that fits on the front of the windshield hinge. I got them from Pierce Sales.

http://www.piercesales.com/iWebCart/...il.asp?pid=468

So $10 plus shipping(UPS, should be around $4-5). Just let me know if someone is interested.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green> & <font color=blue>'88 Grand Waggie</font color=blue>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 06:41 AM

I used the Sun Products YJ relocators. They work fairly well, and allow you to use the stock YJ mirrors, which are very high quality. I like the stock YJ mirrors because they stay in position, but will swing away when nedded,(they have an indexing spring that returns them to the same position). The passenger side I needed to make an extension so I could see it past the roll cage down tube. It also can swing away. I have thoroughly tested these brackets and theyw work great. I was very surprised that i didnt rip the driver side mirror right off when I laid it on its side on the Escalator in Moab.
Hre are a couple of pics.

Jeff
89 YJ
Wow, you can get a nice tan on your arms, from welding with no shirt on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode