Possible repalcement for rolled CJ5, questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Possible repalcement for rolled CJ5, questions

Okay as some have read I rolled my CJ5 and the frame is way to bent and most body panels are beyond usage. I started looking for a donor frame and tub to put my running gear into and found the following. I am going to look at it tonight.
1978 Jeep CJ7, rebuilt 258, T150, D20, 30f, 20r.
It was an East coast rig, so basically the body rusted off, so it was replaced with a fiberglass tub and fenders (that he said are perfect), full hardtop, metal half doors, all glass is great, runs great, no smoke, BUT thinks the frame needs to be replaced from rust. (I might have a line on a new frame though).
Hes want's $500.00 no more, no less, and said he can drive it to me.
Without looking at it, does this sound alright, I will basically be putting my running gear into it, and of course a lot of roll cage [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Are 7's the same as 5's from the front forwards, just a little longer in the back?
Thanks for any input.

<font color=blue>pbm</font color=blue>

ROLLED 74 CJ5,304,T18,2.46 ts D20,30f,44r,locked f&r,SOA,SRS buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,etc.

<font color=red>Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost!</font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 12:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Possible repalcement for rolled CJ5, questions

yup, thats what i've been told......they differ only in wheel base and some available options......

i'd measure the width of the frame to make sure you can bolt everything back in also.

<font color=red>Jeep'n Greg</font color=red>

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 12:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yep, they're exactly the same from the firewall forward. The frames are the same width also. Everything is the same except for the added length behind the firewall.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 03:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Patrick,
Sorry to hear about your Jeep but glad everyone is OK. I see you are in Washignton state also, I checked the local Little Nickle paper and saw the below ad, not sure if you are interested but it could be a better deal than the other CJ5 from the east coast:

1976 CJ5 Jeep, pretty nice, AT, runs and drives good, great for Ice cream truck, $700. 253-334-2794 Puyallup*

Good luck and let me know what happens!

'85 CJ-7/360/727/D300 w/Currie Twin Stick and TeraLow 4-1 kit,Dana 44/30 w/4.56 and Detroits,SSR 35's,York AC onboard air and the TR ignition upgrade
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Luvmud-
Thanks for the tip, I am looking at all avenues right now, I think I have more ideas for everything I encounter than I have time to do them. Seattle huh, I work down in Fremont (actually Queen Ann side of canal). Where do you usually wheel at, we usually go to Evans Creek, Liberty, Walker Valley, Tahuya, etc.

<font color=blue>pbm</font color=blue>

ROLLED 74 CJ5,304,T18,2.46 ts D20,30f,44r,locked f&r,SOA,SRS buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,etc.

<font color=red>Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost!</font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 03:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I actually live near Everett and work near Bellevue, I have wheeled at Evans Creek, Liberty, Walker Valley, Reiter Pit,Manastash,Sultan Basin,etc.

I usually wheel at Walker and Reiter but always am up for an adventure.

Good to see some other Washintonian's on this list!!

'85 CJ-7/360/727/D300 w/Currie Twin Stick and TeraLow 4-1 kit,Dana 44/30 w/4.56 and Detroits,SSR 35's,York AC onboard air and the TR ignition upgrade
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 04:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This sounds like to good of a deal to be true,there fore I would be very carefull.If he parted this Jeep out he could get more than $500 easily make sure that he has a legal title to it.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 09:49 PM

Is '74 still the short front clip deal? If so a DJ-5 frame would be the best replacement. Its fully boxed and has more crossmembers, but is the same length and width.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 11:14 PM

Who Cares about the body, now may be the time to fab a trick frame and then just put some pieces of alminum around it to protect you from the elements. Also if you want some more wheel base now maybe to the time to add it during your build up.
Barrelroll

97 TJ 30" ko's stock but not for long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode