Carb Trouble - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 07:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Carb Trouble

I am sure this question has been posted before..................
Well my 90 Wrangler with stock carb won't start. I have spark and I have fuel at
the filter. The fuel pump is pumping fuel and if you pour fuel into the carb it will
start. I can't figure out what is going on. Anybody have any
suggestions?.......besides upgrading to FI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 08:08 AM

Re: Carb Trouble

Check the venturi cluster in the center of the carb. The idle pickup tubes get clogged over time. If you look down the throat of the carb, you should see two small tubes. Crank the motor over. Fuel should stream evenly from the tubes. If you get nothing, or just a few drips, the tubes are clogged and need to be cleaned out. Check the off-road.com tech section for an article on how to do this - it's fairly easy.

I had a similar problem with stalling at idle. I had the card rebuilt, but that did not cure it. I finally spent the $130 and bought a remanned BBD at Advance Auto Parts - 100% different.

85 CJ-7 258/T176/D300 Scout D44s F&R with Lock-Rites and 4.56 gears. 4" springs with lift shackles 36" SS TSL Radials Hella Rallye 4000s for guiding small planes into the woods
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 08:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Carb Trouble

The place to start is right at the carb. Rather than pour gas down the carb, see if the carb actually has fuel in the bowl. With the air cleaner off and the choke open, and obviously, with the engine off (as it won't start anyway), look into the carb and move the carb linkage. You should see a stream of fuel go down the carb throat. This fuel is from the accel pump that's in the carb bowl. No stream, no fuel in the bowl or, the pump isn't working. The needle that allows fuel to enter the bowl could also be stuck. Rap the top of the carb with a screw driver handle then, crank the engine a few times and see if you get the accel pump stream, with the engine off. Hope this helps.
Ralph..

Carpe Diem - to make every day count!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode