Off Roading Forums banner

Need advice on power steering pump pulley

964 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Junk Yard Genius 
G
#1 ·
I have replaced my power steering pump with on from auto-jerks, the pulley on my old pump is in bad shape so re-using it is out. I am unable to locate one from a Jeep in any of the bone yards, is there a pulley from another GM I can use? I have been told the pump is one that was used on alot of GM products. Thanks for the help.

http://www.geocities.com/austnjpr/

#3 ·
Look on about any GM vehicle in the past 10 years or so and you should find what you need...
I have no idea what a new pulley would cost, but I'm sure it isn't too much from the dealership or from NAPA.

You will need the special puller to get the old one off, but most Auto-Zone type discount stores will allow a rent or loan with a deposit...

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"

#4 ·
Nearly 99% of GM products used the saginaw steering box and pump. So any cadallic, buick, oldmobile, or chevy will do. Just be sure of the belt width and style.

But once you get the pulley off, let me know the secret, I got one on the bench waiting.

brownbagg

G
#5 ·
Brownbag, That is the reason I am looking for another pulley, I pulled, pryed, and used every four letter word in the book, the pulley stayed right where it was. I broke a cheap puller, cut my hand a few times, went back into the house for a beer, came out and vented. (Still a young guy with a lack of patience.)
And needless to say the pulley has seen better day's. Now for the real kicker....I found a pulley at a bone-yard take a swipe at the asking price? 40.00 bucks, thats right!!!!!! The dealer wants 49.00 for a new one, maybe I will strong arm it for awhile. :(

http://www.geocities.com/austnjpr/

G
#6 ·
To get that pulley off you need a special pulley puller/installer. You can't use a gear type puller that grabs onto the outside of the pulley. If you look at your pulley, you will see that there is a nipple of sorts with a groove in it right at the center. This is what the special puller grabs onto. You will also see that the pump shaft is threaded. These threads are what the puller uses to re-install the pulley. Whatever you do, don't try to hammer it back on! As TeamRush said, many auto parts stores will rent/lend this tool out, or Harbor Freight tools has one for about $20. Don't be surprised if it disintegrates after five or six pulls though. This little tool will save hours of grief. With it you will spend five minutes tops getting the pulley off and another five installing it.

#7 ·
If you can use a pulley from GM vehicle, is it possible to use the pump too? I need to replace my pump, so is it going to be possible to grab a pump with pulley and slap that on?

Thanks

Sean

#8 ·
Yes, just remember around 78 they went to a metric hose fitting, they are still good just get close to the box year so hose replacement will work. Also the bigger the car the slower the turning ratio. I used one from a 77 monza on mine

brownbagg

#9 ·
Brown Bag is correct, use one from a smaller car, preferably with a V-8 engine.
The V-8 engine usually meant that it was a 'Sport' car, and will have a faster steering box or rack and pinion, and that requires a faster pump...

The one we just used for a customer's street rod was for a 78 monza spyder with a V-8.
It looked just like the one in my jeep.

Good luck, Aaron.

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.