3/4 ele F/R on a yj - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 08:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

3/4 ele F/R on a yj

How trail effictive is the 3/4 ele spring setup. I have been looking to do this when I do my spring over. I don't mind wander anymore. Jeepgod just said that I should really think about it before I do it to my daily driver.
I'm sure that this subject has been beaten like a dead horse, but I just have to ask.

JR
'94YJ,4cyl,33SX's,Locked F/R,NV4500,Soon to come:Wagoneer 44 Scout 44 & spools
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 08:52 PM

Re: 3/4 ele F/R on a yj

oh what does jeepgod know anyway [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
i would consider it for the rear as long as you have a way to control axle wrap.

but, for the front, Hmmm
first thing i thinking is which end is going to able to droop off the frame?
rear: first the draw back to a "shackle reversal" is when your suspension droops the pinion/yoke start pointing downward. (this is why so many have there stub and sliders come apart on shackle reversals, mine included) now with a 3/4 eliptical it will be worse, you could get a fancy long travel drive$haft..... but the droop angle while still be bad, at worst causing binding of your U-joint maybe.
front: Hmmm, i'd have to agree (cough, cough, clearing my throught now) with jeepgod.

this is just one "salty sailors" humble opinion.

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 09:29 PM
Pooh-Bah

When I swapped to SOA I did a shackle reversal system, and thought for the extra bucks I would try the front buggy kit(3/4 elliptical) from MORE.
The only time I got the front springs to pull 'pull away' was when I made them. On any trail, or rocks I was on, they didn't pull away. I was running 9012 in the front and fully extended the springs were only open a little. I know I could have obtained full extension with a different shackle angle. I was running a Arizona driveline 13" slipshaft to eliminate the possibility of separation. Now that I am needing to rebuild my Jeep, I probably won't do the buggy kit again. It just wasn't that effective.
For the rear I can use all of a 9012's length (actualy more if disconnected)w/o 3/4 elliptical, so don't think I need it. If you do decide it is for you, either clamp them down with square u-bolts, or a bolt thru the spring when you are driving normally to reduce the opening when not wanted to.

<font color=blue>pbm</font color=blue>

ROLLED 74 CJ5,304,T18,2.46 ts D20,30f,44r,locked f&r,SOA,SRS buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,etc.

<font color=red>Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost!</font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 09:41 PM
Grinch

i suggest not doing it.. i ran 3/4 in the rear for a while, both SUA and SOA.. you'll experience wheel hop when climbing rocks, and makes things MORE difficult to climb..that was the effect in the rear.. i'm not sure if the same will happen up front.. you won't really gain THAT much more travel either.. it just looks cool, but doesn't perform well..

'89 YJ SOA w/2.5" OME springs,1"Body/1"Motor Mounts,4.56s,SYE,Ford 8.8" w/Detroit,EZ up front,Steering correction
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 10:25 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 11:30 AM
Veteran

Hey Grinch, do you have any axle wrap/hop now and if yes do you use anything to control it? (besides the right foot) [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R, SOA and Ford 8.8 soon http://members.home.net/t.molnar
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 04:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the info gents, I think I'll just stick to my soa for now and just try to out wheel everyone else. I just need to kick jeepgods ass every now and then, just to keep him in check, ya know?

JR
'94YJ,4cyl,33SX's,Locked F/R,NV4500,Soon to come:Wagoneer 44 Scout 44 & spools
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode