Off Roading Forums banner

Frustrated with tires/wheels

429 views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I have been doing tons of looking for the right tire/wheel combo for my off-roading. I had all but settled with 33x14x15 boggers on 15x10 beadlock rockcrawler rims. Now I am running narrow track axles, so backspacing is a serious issue with my axles, so I do not rub on the springs, or the inner frame while flexing. The frustration happens when I call the different mail order places looking for the backspacings available for rims. Every time I call I get a different answer. When I first started looking at rims, I was told by just about everyone that 3" was the smallest backspacing. Then last night one of them told me that I can get 2.5 inch backspacing on a 15x10. Then to really make me unhappy this place told me that they were sold out of beadlock rims till August. I find it hard to believe that a large mailorder company could go all summer almost without having a bead lock rim in stock.

I wish someone had a print-out of the available backspacings on certain rims.

Also, why is backspacing always left out of tire fitment guides?

If anyone is running these tires on narrow track axles on a CJ 7, pass me on some feedback if you get the time. Thanks

Jesse

Ignorance is the first step to knowledge.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would try calling or e-mailing the manufacturers not the sellers. Seems Centerline answered my e-mail on differences between Auto Drag and Auto Drag II. I have a '79 CJ-7 and in the process of swapping to '85 wide track axles. The '79 came with the optional 8 in. white spoke rim while the '85 has the optional chrome spoke 7 inchers. Back spaceing seems to be the same. I haven't measured the chrome ones yet, but the distance from the inner edge of the wheel to the steering arm seems to be the same in each case, about 3/4 of an inch. Check yous out. This seems like it will be the limiting factor as far as mounting goes for more back spaceing. There are adjustment stops for turning to the locks if you get fender well or frame rubbing. I would like to run the wider rims/tires, but with the wide track axles I think they will stick out past the flares. The narrower wheels I think help steering wander if your rig suffers from that. Well I hope this helps some. Good Luck.

G
#3 ·
There is a company called FASTWHEELS located in Tulsa,OK. Phone # 918-599-9022
I called and am goimg to order me a set of 10" bead locks w/ a 2" backspace.
They quoted me a price of $124 a wheel $15 a wheel shipping. They told me they would make any back space you wanted,had a 3 week wait though. A friend of mine has them make all the wheels for his stock car.

IF I BUY ANYMORE TOYS,I'M A DEAD MAN!!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.