CJ problems already!!???!?!?1 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

CJ problems already!!???!?!?1

Alright, no one say anything in any way of making fun of me, hehe. I got a problem, i think it is the clutch, this is what happened and what is going on with teh jeep. I press the gas and it doesnt really move, no matter how hard i press it the rpm's go up but it doesnt move wiht the rpm's it takes a while to get it going. I was driving from mailbox to mailbox passing things out so i constantly had to push in and let out on the clutch, and after a while it smelt like something was grinding but i didnt hear anything. Also, i have the t 18 tranny, and i can slip it out of gear without pusing in on the clutch, and it gets harder the lower gear i go in. Could someone please tell me if it is the clutch, if they know if it is, is it the whole clutch or some part of it? and what i should do. thanks
andrew

1978 CJ-7 amc 360, D44 rear w/ detroit, 3.5 lift, 32 BFG mudds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 02:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: CJ problems already!!???!?!?1

you might be able to adjust the clutch linkage longer to gain a little more life from your clutch (* pads )

that smell was most likely your presureplate etc. and it will be a smell you will be able to always identify in the future

new pressurepolate throwout bearing and a few other items
should do it

[email protected],

schaan

1980 CJ7 75% completed
1969 Early Bronco 40% completed
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 02:29 PM
Old Hand

Hi,

It is one of two things:

1 your clutchplate has worn completely and is slipping (if all the friction material has worn away, the rivets that hold the friction material on are exposed, hence the grinding noise).
2 the throwout bearing has seized up and has worn through the pressure fingers of the diaphragm, hence no pressure on the pedal and noise.

Try and see if you can adjust the clutch as spidey advised to see if the clutch starts to grip again. Be warned though that if the rivets are exposed, it will ruin the surface of the flywheel and you would have to have it resurfaced.

Other than that, you will have to take it apart to see what parts need replacing.

Hooch

'83 CJ-7 258/TR/TF999/D300 in Land Rover Country

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

sorry i did not make this clear, there was no grinding noise, but a smell that smeld liek something was grinding, lol. sorry for the confusion
andrew

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

hey i think i found the part that i lengthen, how much do i lengthen it? and are you positive i lengthen and not shorten? thanks
andrew

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 03:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

lengthen it i am 90% sure
ive always lengthed mine but you will be able to tell from the feel of the clutch.
but as hooch said it could cause damage to your flywheel so dont go hogwild on it just a turn or two should help

but you are going to need a new clutch soon
start saving

i like centerforce stuff

[email protected],

schaan

1980 CJ7 75% completed
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 03:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

As far as getting a clutch. Order a LUK from dialaclutch.com in florida. A LUK is the best bang for your $. Shouldn't cost ya more than $150 w/shipping.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 84 cj7 Laredo [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Superior 1 piece, more to come.....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads_uploads/53-410266-blackeye.jpg[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

well this was s centerforce 2 clutch =). And i was also wondering, could it have just been from using the clutch so much and like just gettin it to hot, and after it cooled it worked normal? i lengthened the linkage a few turns, it seems to work fine now.
andrew

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 03:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

not sure but it is possible
i burned up a new clutch on my first jeep going up a steep climb in 4 high and just burnt it away

1st time out to

major f*#@ up but i was 16 and quite ignorant

[email protected],

schaan

1980 CJ7 75% completed
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 04:04 PM
Pooh-Bah

You might be okay, but probably have some hot spots on it that may start to get grabby. When I went hydraulic I would get a slip at around 2000 rpm and up, but only in 3-4 gear, I adjusted in the slave rod about .25" and works great, doesn't take much.

<font color=blue>pbm</font color=blue>

74 CJ5,304,t18,2.46 ts d20,30f,44r,locked f&r,SOA,MORE SRS buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.

<font color=red>Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost!</font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode