Pro-Comp Explorer Suspension Lifts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 11:23 AM
JEEP_1

Pro-Comp Explorer Suspension Lifts

Anyone have any experience with the ProComp suspension lifts? I have had mine for about 4-years now and it has ridden like a buckboard ever since I had installed it. I have tried loosening the clamps around the spring packs, backing off the shackle bolts and double nutting them along with greasing the shackle bushings. I currently run with no sway bar so that is not an issue. Don't worry about on road safety the leafs are stiff enough to prevent any sort of body roll. : ) Does any one else know of some basic mods that can be made ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 12:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Pro-Comp Explorer Suspension Lifts

Most people(but not all) have said the same things about Pro-Comp leaf spring suspension lifts. Including me. I tried everything, I ended up taking the leafs off and replacing them with better quality leafs(I used RE Extreme Duty 4.5" leafs, but the BDS leafs are cheaper and look pretty good).

One thing you didn't mention is taking the leafs apart and greasing the individual leafs. They will eventually collect enough dust and dirt that it will have to be done again, but it will help for a time. You could also put teflon pads(available from online metals or national spring) in between the leafs.

Another thing is working the suspenison. If you flex them enough, they should losen up.

You mentioned losening the shackle bolts...I ran mine a 10 lbs. w/ lock nuts. Did you also back off the main eye bolts?

Did you ditch both front and rear track bars? I ditched both the front and rear, but it didn't help. Most people only take the rear off.

What shocks are you using? I used RS9000's on #1 setting, and it didn't help.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green> & <font color=blue>'88 Grand Waggie</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 12:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Funny you should post about them...I was just looking at them in the new JP Mag...4 Wheel Parts has a deal on them for $379...That's the springs, shocks, U-Bolts and a Drop Pitman Arm...

I'm really liking the idea of the ProComp...the only bad thing I've heard about them is that they are stiff...very stiff....but my jeep is in the middle of a frame up...and it's going to be a trail Jeep only....so I figured it would be fine for me....

What do you all think...I plan on doing a lot of trails and some rocks...maybe some water here and there...I live in VA and plan on doing the Shenandoah fire trails...and things of that nature...

My main question is, was this lift made for off road or on road...

Thank you,
Tucker

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 12:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

They simply suck. I even broke a leaf in the back. I whish I knew that those were the ones Rubicon Express were going to send me. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

A.B.

I think, therefore I am ... a Jeeper
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 12:31 PM
JEEP_1

I did the main eye bolts also. The springs also have teflon between them. Currently I have a set of the ES5000's for shocks. Grease would be a last option. I spend alot of time in the water pulling our kayaking gear out and the grease would attract to much grime. Since Warn has pulled out of the suspension end of the buisness any other recommendations for a flexible spring?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 12:31 PM
JEEP_1

I did the main eye bolts also. The springs also have teflon between them. Currently I have a set of the ES5000's for shocks. Grease would be a last option. I spend alot of time in the water pulling our kayaking gear out and the grease would attract to much grime. Thanks for the input. Since Warn has pulled out of the suspension end of the buisness any other recommendations for a flexible spring?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 12:38 PM
JEEP_1

Based on my personal experience with the ProComp kit I would not recommend them for off road use. The springs are stiff to the point that they limit axle articulation which is what you want for wheelin.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 01:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

They do ok offroad. I haven't had any problem. But on-road they are too stiff. Speed bumps sent the rearend flying. Same with potholes. They are so stiff that you don't need a front sway bar, ever. Mine was on the jeep when I got it so I am stuck with it until my back says no more.

77 CJ-7, 360, T-18, 5 inch lift, 35's, MileMarker, full cage.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 03:07 PM

I have a Superlift on mine and a friend had a Skyjacker on his. I would buy the Skyjacker. The leaves are all double tapered and teflon padded. It rides very well. and he can lift his front tire 28 1/2" compared to my 21 1/2" before it lifts the rear tire. Just another reminder, you get what you pay for, I paid $400 shipped and he paid almost $600.. Just my $.02

76 CJ7, 258,Jeep T18, D20 TC, D30 & AMC20.
4" Superlift, 33" SSR's
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 12:55 PM
Can't Get Enough

I have the Pro-comp lift, and I like it. Mine actually rides better than stock. I have had friends with jeeps make the same comment. I did hear that it depends on when you buy your lift, as Pro-Comp does not manufacture the springs, they sub them out. Depending on the sub at the time, you can get some good quality springs. (I heard that National built a lot of there springs)

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode