AX15 Rebuild - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 10:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

AX15 Rebuild

My 3rd 4th gear synchro is going bad, can the AX15 transmission be rebuilt with standard hand tools? or do I need to have a tranny shop rebuilt it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 11:07 AM

Re: AX15 Rebuild

first, i have not rebuilt an AX-15. i have built an SR-4 (3 times) and a T-177. its not that bad. get a good place to work on, a few tools and a couple service manuals. i have a chiltons and a haynes for reference. one thing you'll need is Assembly Goo (http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/goo.html). its makes assembly much easier than using grease or vaseline. you'll also need some BIG snap-ring pliers. i got mine a NAPA (along with the Goo) and they were about $20. you may have to fabricate some tools. threaded rod comes in handy for this. if you aren't changing any of the bearings, you shouldn't need a press. i rebuilt my T-177 in about 3 hours. 2 to take it apart and remove bearings and 1 to re-assemble. i would rather buy the tools than pay someone else to do the work. OH, the story of the T-177: i bought it from a guy that had it rebuild 3000 miles ago. he took his jeep in to the shop with a bad input bearing. they rebuild the tranny and charged him $1000. 3000 miles later the input went again. he pulled the tranny to find the pilot bushing shot. put in a T-18 and sold it to me. i have $150 in the tranny, $60 in parts, and $25 in tools. not bad for an almost new tranny! hope this helps! matt

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 09:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: AX15 Rebuild

doesnt take much to take it out and apart... i just took one out.. and split the case tonight.. will be looking at it more in the next few days... only i can say is take your time.. undo what needs to be undone.. and have a good floor jack... we were using a motorcycle jack.. worked great.. the hardest thing for us was the exhaust.. this was on a 91...

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode