QuadraJet questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 12:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

QuadraJet questions

I'm looking to ditch my AFB in favor of a q-jet. I can't decide if I should get the Autozone $130 remanufactured one or spring for the one from edlebrock or JET prefomance. Keep in mind that I live in Colorado, so wheeling takes me up to 9000ft. At $450 for the edlebrock unit, I'm getting close to the price for a TBI system from these guys http://www.affordable-efi.com/TBI.htm at $825. any advice on tunning a q-jet for high altitude? Can this be done on the autozone (stock) unit? Should I hold out and buy the tbi?

My name is Ted, and I'm a Jeep-a-holic. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 12:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: QuadraJet questions

Ive heard good things about the Quads fine tuning abilities but that it is difficult and requires practice.

the tbi system would be nice, cept im not ready to conquer that concept yet.

good luck

[email protected],

schaan

1980 CJ7 75% completed
1969 Early Bronco 40% completed
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 01:30 PM
jeepfiend

I have had bad luck with the discount parts places remanned carbs, the Q-jet in particular. I usually end up having to take them apart anyway. I bought one from Checker a couple of years ago, and I had to rework all the linkage to even get the secondaries to pretend like they were going to work. In the long run, the carb has worked no better than units I rebuilt myself. I would look for a Q-jet at a salvage yard and do the rebuild yourself.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 02:23 PM

I've bought several from Ebay and rebuilt them myself. They're not that tough to do, and you know what you have.

'86 CJ-7, 360, TFI, 727, OEM Dana 44 rear w/Truetrac, Dana 30 w/Powertrax No-Slip, 4" Superlift, 4:11s, Warn HS9500i
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 02:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I wouldn't mind doing the rebuild myself (I have a coulple of junk yard units now), but how to I redo the bushing on the throttle linkage? I know this is a major source of vaccum leaks.

My name is Ted, and I'm a Jeep-a-holic. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
[email protected]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 02:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What manual did you use as a reference?

[email protected]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 03:17 PM

I used the instructions in the kit, along with a book called "Rochester Carburetors" by Doug Roe. It's available at Barnes and Noble or Amazon.com. As far as the throttle bushing, I guess I got lucky. I've never replaced one.

'86 CJ-7, 360, TFI, 727, OEM Dana 44 rear w/Truetrac, Dana 30 w/Powertrax No-Slip, 4" Superlift, 4:11s, Warn HS9500i
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 03:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I used the same Qjet book, it's good. I got mine at Napa. I like Qjets, I think they are well designed and they work well. They are pretty easy to rebuild. I got one off ebay for $50, put a $20 kit in it, and it runs great. The throttle shaft didn't leak. Qjets have rather large throttle shafts and that translates into larger bearing surface that keeps wear pretty low. The throttle body is made of pretty high quality metal, too. Now that I am familiar with the Qjet, I will never run anything else.
Regards,
Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode