Off Roading Forums banner

heres a rear axle idea..

349 views 3 replies 0 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
well, i read that one thread, the one about rear axles, and it hit me, i have a 84 ford 3/4 ton van thats used simply to store chevy parts. would the axle be dana 60? a s/f or f/f?? how wide would it be? if this would work, i think this might change my ideas very much. also, would a d44 or a 10 bolt out of a jimmy work for the front? and how much would it need to be cut down. if all this would work out, i'd end up with a SOA jeep with a d60r, a d44f, and a chevy drivetrain for very little $$$ i guess it wouldn't be a jeep at all anymore, it would be a cheep /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif i am also considering using a 360 instead of a 350, therefore keeping the jeep's transfer case and finding a t18 (full-size jeep or ford) but i imagine it might be cheaper to simply find a sm465/np2o5 combo for less than a 360/t18... ok, know i'm rambling.... thanks to all replies!!!

Keith
89/91 cr 125
89 Yamaha SRV

See less See more
G
#2 ·
I would guess that the axle in the van is a Dana 60 semi floating, but I might be wrong. I don't know the ford axles as well as Chevy axles. I would also guess it is about 65 inches wide but you should messure it. The Jimmy would probably be a 10 bolt. I would prefer a Dana 44 but they are similar. I know that full size Chevy axles are about 67 inches and I have heard, but never investgated, that blazer and jimmy axles are narrower. You might not need to cut them down if you don't want to. Another option for the rear is the 14 bolt and grind some of the pumpkin. Aparently it is possible to grind enough of the bottom off, without sacraficing stength, to make it hang higher than a Dana 60. As for the engine I like the 350 b/c it has many parts for modification, and OE parts are easy to come by. A lot of guys on this board seem to like the 360 b/c it keeps it more of a Jeep. They will also so that they have no problem finding parts also, which might be true for them. It is a matter of personal preferance.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
WALSTIB/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G
#4 ·
The axle may be a Dana "super 70". I know that Ford now uses these axles under some of the heavy duty vans. They now come with disk brakes as an option as well as 4.88 gears, I believe. If it turns out to be the "super 70", and it has drums now, the disk conversion might be able to be done with factory parts. I wiwh I knew how to identify if it was a 70 or not, I would pass it on.

Jesse

Ignorance is the first step to knowledge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.