Off Roading Forums banner

T-19 is in...having minor problems.

293 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
I just installed my t-19 6.32:1, Dana 20 combo into my 1974 cj-5 in this weekend. The installation went smooth. I only have two concerns now. After putting in the original '74 skid plate, I had to put in 3 inch blocks in order for it to be able to bolt up to the frame. Obviously, that means NO GROUND CLEARANCE. Without the '74 skid plate in, there is plenty of clearance. Anyone have any ideas on what kind of skid plate would work or how to build one that would be stout, yet low profile ('76 skid plate is even worse)? The other concern is the rear drive shaft length. The distance between the differential yoke and the TC yoke is only 18 inches...is this too short? Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

G
#2 ·
I ran into the same problem when I installed my T18. The upward bend of the skidplate made contact with the now larger transmission case. Two things you can do for it. You can cut that upward projecting piece down so it doesn't hit the tranny case or you can bend it down so it still provides some protection to the case. I bent mine down using a hydraulic press. If you don't have access to a press, a machine shop should be able to do it at a reasonable cost. Just make sure that you know how far it needs to be bent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.