Off Roading Forums banner

Teamrush...Me again..coil??

345 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Junk Yard Genius 
#1 ·
Hey TR!! Thanks for the help you gave me earlier last week!! As always, I do have another question about the TFI upgrade. Actualy, it is about the coil. what is the difference in the premium coil and the economy model, besides price? no one around here seems to have the premium. does it put out an even hotter spark than the economy model, or does it just have a better warranty? Also, I have the accel super coil (big square coil) on my jeep now, and it has been on there for about 2 years now. Will the TFI coil be better or should I just stay with my accel? I have changed everything over except the coil, and I have noticed a lot better idle and hot starts!! I am impressed! Thanks again for your help!!

86 CJ7 258, weber carb, rusty but trusty!!

#2 ·
Hello Ben.
I don't remember the conversation you are talking about.
I had about a dozen different answers going at once, and a couple of hecklers, just to aggravate things...

I went back and re-read one of the threads...
I had two guys wanting information on straight Motorcraft upgrades, Two wanting answers on resistors for ignitions that were upgrades from Delco or Prestolite, and two or three guys wanting specific answers to problems they were having with their upgrades, and having to hold off a couple of hecklers that want to see if they can get into the conversation...

It was a hand full for a while...
--------------------------------

I should have seperated the questions and answers, but I was in a hurry...

---------------------------------

Thanks for the kind words!
Glad you and your friends are doing so well with the upgrades...

As for your questions,
If you have the Accel version of the TFI coil, stay where you are.
If you have a can coil from Accel, there is some benefit to changing coils...

The premium coils are made with better materials and have better warranties.

Economy coils usually have aluminum conductors, while the premium coils have brass or some other conductive material.
If you cut open a premium coil, the use of quality materials goes all the way through...
The premium TFI coils seem to make just a little more usable spark energy, but even the economy TFI coil kicks the GM HEI coil to heck and back.
It usually kicks butt on all the aftermarket 'Can' type coils we have tested...

Aluminum in distributor caps and coils should be outlawed.
For the amount you are paying for gasoline, you would think more people would get good coils, caps and plug wires....
That, and keeping air pressure up in your tires are the two most important things you can do to get better milage.
It pays for it's self in just a few tank fulls of gas...

Good luck, and happy Jeepin'
Aaron...

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.