Off Roading Forums banner

clutch inspection plate

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  IN2DEEP 
#1 ·
Anyone know if the inspection plate that covers the bottom half of the bell housing is common between the different transmission types?
I need one for a T-18 and the odds of finding one from a CJ are slim to none.
Are the t-18 bell housings on FSJ's similar? anyone got one they want to get rid of?

TIA,
Chris

'79 CJ-7

#2 ·
Re: tranny inspection plate

The inspection plates are the same for 72 until at least 79 trannies T150, T15 and T18 6 and V8. FSJ's should be the same the bellhousings are just longer not any bigger and they have the same engine family.
Pigpen
Sorry don't have one at this time.

#3 ·

I think its the same on the auto tranny rigs too

ive got 2 right now, one from a 360/tf727 combo, and one from a 304/T150 combo

they are identical.

so i would speculate: and say that they are the same!

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces

#4 ·

That can't be true. Typically the ones for manual trans are solid units that match the belhousing completely. With an auto trans the lower portion is removeable so you can get to the torque converter bolts/nuts. I would think the inspection plates would be the same between manual trannys or auto trannys. But they aren't interchangeable. Plus the manual inspection plates are usually thicker.

..... but I've been wrong before.

IN2DEEP 78 CJ5 302 FORD T176/D300 35" BFGS

#5 ·

well, your welcome to come over here and check them out!
did you even read the original post?
he said it covers the bottom of the bellhousing.

a 1977 304/T150 is the same as the one from a 1980 360/tf727

any thing else is out of my realm of verifiability.

OzarkJeep

#7 ·

The inspection plate for my T150 covered the whole bellhousing - top to bottom. It has to be installed before the flywheel. If you were to install this on an auto you wouldn't be able to tighten torque converter bolts!!

#8 ·

thats very different from my T150 bellhousing!

mine has a large upper ring that includes the starter hole ( this part actually more of a spacer) and the lower corner -closest to the clutch fork is the same EXACT piece as a TF727 inspection cover, the spacer ( upper portion) is most likely the same too..

what you just decribed, by your very own words isnt even an inspection plate! its a SPACER. teh inspection plate is only a small portion of hte spacer, think about it

OzarkJeep

#9 ·

I don't think manual tranny "spacer" plates (whatever you want to call it) need a hole in them. What would be the purpose? The only need for a hole is to tighten the torque bolts. I think somebody swapped one on you. Think about it!

#10 ·

its called an "inspection cover" for a reason, its to inspect the ring gear teeth, if you can find one referance to as " torque converter bolt removal allowance portal" Ill kiss your ass and call you jeep guru.

technically a manual tranny doesnt need ANYTHING of the sorts,UNLESS its sole purpose is as a "spacer",or to get a glimpse of the ring gear!, but yours has one, and mine has one, go figure..

ChrisM hopefully found what he needed, even though you didnt offer anything helpful to the thread, thanks for the fun grade school conflict!

OzarkJeep

#11 ·

HA HA!! Mine has a spacer, yours has an inspection plate?? How do I look at my ring gear??..... the only thing I have is starter hole. I'd hate to use a hole for the wrong purpose...

..... I'm doing a search on that portal thing..... I've never been called a guru before (can you believe it?)!!

I think the purpose of my "spacer" is to keep sh*t out of the clutch/bellhousing. But I'm no guru..... I could be wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.