Off Roading Forums banner

What else on power steering conversion?

694 views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
I'm converting my 78 cj7 to power steering. I have the steering box and pump. I just need to get some hoses, one fitting and a pitman arm. What else am I going to need. Is their a different steering coupler that I will need? I see there is one for manual and one for power steering, just wondering if its someting I have to have or can make work. ken

dismantled cj that is starting to look like a jeep
95yj

G
#2 ·
You also need the brackets for the P/S pump, the bolts to attach it to the jeep (can't help with either w/o knowing what engine you have...not on your profile) and the steering shaft. The shafts are in two pieces with that nylon bolt-thingy in there to keep it together. The top half is the same on both manual and power steering jeeps...the bottom half is the same except that the part that attaches to the box has a different spline count for manual versus power steering boxes. So you'll need that too, as you guessed. You have to have the correct one...don't try to make the manual steering one work or it will slip over the splines and you'll lose steering.

It'd be nice to have a p/s filter on the return line, while you're at it...oh, and a brace for that p/s box would also be a good idea. And while you're taking it all apart, check out the condition of the frame where the box mounts...maybe clean it up such... Once it's all together, you'll need a belt (obviously) and 3 quarts of p/s fluid.

Evolution of tools: stone, hammer, wrench, socket, impact, really big hammer, blue wrench.

#3 ·
Thanks farmjeep. Yea I scrounged up some bolts yesterday and I'm planing on a steering brace, custom that is. I'm not for sure on exactly what I'll need for the coupler though. i was looking in the quadratec catalog and I see a coupling kit, and I see a steering shaft kit (expensive). Am I going to be able get away with a coupling kit? Oh yea its a 258 ken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.