Off Roading Forums banner

How tight is too tight

413 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
When tightening down the lock nut on a D30 front hub, how can I tell if I'm tight enough? I'm using the socket and a standard 1/2 ratchet.

Also, I haven't taken it apart yet, but has anybody had experience with their spindle bearings going bad? Will that wipe out the inner spindle?

#2 ·
well i just tighten it down till it starts turning tight.. and then back it off about a 1/4 of a turn..
and yes if that bad bearing breaks apart it can scare up the spindle and it can also screw up the hub.. grind up enough of it.. to where the race wont fit into it properly..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G
#3 ·
From the Jeep technical service manual: "Install tabbed washer [this is the washer with the inner tab that fits in the slot on the spindle]and inner locknut. Tighten locknut to 50 foot pounds torque; then back off locknut 1/6 of a turn. Rotate wheel while tightening inner locknut to seat bearings evenly. Install lock washer and outer locknut. Tighten locknut to 50 foot pounds torque and bend lip of lock washer over [outer] nut"

Spindle bearings are not difficult to change once you have the wheel bearings and all off the Jeep. Spindle bearing kits are fairly inexpensive, if in doubt I would replace both sides.

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.