Off Roading Forums banner

Help...I keep breaking belts!

787 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Junk Yard Genius 
G
#1 ·
I am trying to solve a problem and wantd to see if anyone had encountered this before. I have broken two power steering pump belts in as many days. The belts are good qulity units (Goodyear) and they are being torn in two. The pump I purchased from a bone yard about 8 months ago and have not had any problems until now. Someone suggested the pump may be locking up, but I am not sure how to go about verifying this. The pulley has a slight wobble in it but nothing too bad. Any ides or suggestions on where to start trouble shooting, The only thing I have come up with is replacing the pump and see if it happens again, I hate the wait and see thing though since it will always happen at a bad time.

http://www.geocities.com/austnjpr/

G
#4 ·
I would guess that the pump is locking up and the belt is too tight. The PS belt has a lot of contact area and if the belt is not loose enough to allow it to slip if the pump seizes then the belt would have to snap.

The Grim Jeeper!

#6 ·
If the belts are 'stringy' where they separate...
The power steering pump, or some other accessories the belt goes to is probably loose.

This is a common problem in race cars.
When the accessory moves, it allows the belt to jump the pulley, and when the belt gets to the top edge of the pulley, it starts to stretch the belt.

Most people don't anchor the back side of alternators, and they are usually the culprit, but their pulleys are normally small enough that it just shucks the belt and doesn't break it.
Power steering pumps are large, and really put in on the belts.

I have never seen a power steering pump lock up an break a belt.
I've see several burned in two, but none broken.
Lots of burning and squealing when they lock up...

Let us know what you find, I am interested in this...

Good Luck, Aaron.

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"

G
#7 ·
TR this is what stumped me, the belt is not frayed or stringy on the ends it is as if you stood holding one side of the belt and I the other and started pulling and the belt just gave at the weakest point, a fairly clean break. "I am not sure how strong you are but I am not strong enough to pull the belt apart, just needed an analogy." It did however take out my alternator belt this time when it broke.

http://www.geocities.com/austnjpr/

#8 ·
I have over 20 years in the martial arts, and I will tell you right now, I'm not strong enough to break a fan belt! And I don't know anyone that is!

I've seen two belts hold up a 500 HP diesel engine...
I've seen one belt hold up a big block chevy and transmission...
But the edge of a pulley can concentrate the force into a single 'Pinch through' type break...
I have seen that before... It's so clean it's almost like a jagged cut...
Like using dull side cuts or bolt cutters.... Like a real messy cut...
--------------------------------

I'd check to make sure the power steering pump is secured solidly and can not be pulled in toward the crank pulley. Watch for deflection when you are tightening up the new belt...

When you put the next belt on, leave it a little loose, and see if it throws it intact, or if it squeals and trys to burn it.

If it throws it, something is moving around and letting the belt climb out of the pulley tracks...
If it burns it up, the pump is locking up...

There is a big difference between 'Loose belt squeal' and 'Locked up pump squeal', and that should tell the tail.

Just leave about twice the recommended deflection in the belt, and see what happens...

(If you had my luck, NOTHING would happen... I'd drive around three months with that embarrassing loose belt squeal, and nothing would happen...)

Good luck, and keep us posted...
Aaron.

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.