Off Roading Forums banner

What kind of Transfer case?

362 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  jeepgod 
G
#1 ·
I have a 76 CJ-7 with a factory 3-speed, and 304. What kind of Transfer case came in these? My Jeep isn't close by for me to check it out. From the tech pages I would guess that I have a Dana 20. Will a T-18 bolt up to the Dana 20, or just the Ford version?
I'm thinking of swapping in a T-18 if I can get my hands on one at a decent price.
Thanks

G
#3 ·
The swap is not exactly a direct bolt in. The T-18 is a little longer than the three speeds so you have to re-drill the frame to move the crossmember back, have the front drive shaft lengthened and the rear one shortend, and do a little cutting to the floor and maybe add a body lift if you mounts are worn or sagging. This information all applies to the old narrow frame but most of should hold true for the 76 and up. BUT, the tranny is well worth it in durability and gearing. GO 4 IT!

The Grim Jeeper!

#4 ·
most of those cross members have predrilled holes.. for different tranny and transfer case combo's that where offered by jeep.. im not 100% sure on the 76's but i know the wide track versions are like that.. and im not sure on how much longer it is.. if its within an inch or so... you might be able to get by with the old driveshafts.. but i doubt it..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.