Off Roading Forums banner

NEED CJ-2A HELP

652 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I am buying a 1946 Jeep CJ-2A and need help. I want to fit 33" or 35" Boggers and would like to know how much lift and will the stock axles hold up OK? How are spring overs for these Jeeps body lifts, which is better? Also it still has the original Motor, trans, and x-fer case what is the easiest motor swap what else do I have to change(tranny, v-fer case, axles)? If you know of any real good parts of information sites please tell me about them.
Thank You in Advance
Corey

G
#2 ·
Corey,
Big Boggers and stock axles? Nope ain't gonna work, Sorry. On a brighter note your stock tranny and tcase are fairly strong and will survive if you're gentle on them. A V8 could work but it'll just barely fit and you'll end up tearing up your frame. I have an adapter to bolt a chevy or a buick bell housing to your tranny tranny if you convert it to the long input style. As for axles I would go minimum dana 30 front and 44 rear. Getting these in a flatty will require quite a bit of fabrication skill. Body lifts and Jeeps don't get along very well. Spring overs are a great way to go if you have the tools and abilities to do one. I'd be happy to tell you how to do it but it's bedtime/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Just ask and I'll be happy to answer any questions you have. Let us know what you got for tools and expirence, and what you plan on using your jeep for. That may affect our advice. Also flatties are getting kinda rare, if it's in good running shape you may want to think aabout it a litttle before you cut it up. Good running ones are starting to fetch a good deal of money. Happy Jeepin'
Travis

Inquire about my witty original saying contest/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G
#3 ·
I ran 33's on my stock axles for years and only broke one axle, and that was while trying to pull out a full sized Chevy truck. At the time, I was using Rancho 2" lift springs with a 1/2" body lift, spring under the axle.
I'm running 35's now, but there's been a few up grades, such as a Dana 44 front, T-18 trans, Dana 300 transfer case and a Dana 60 rear. I'm running YJ springs which are spring over axle. The YJ springs and spring over give more than enough clearence for the 35's. My fender openings remain stock and there hasn't been a rubbing problem even on the 5+ rated trails of Johnson Valley.
Rob J.

#5 ·
I know of a lot of people running stock gear, 34x9.5 swampers, and lockers with good results. They have the stock engine, maybe upgrading to the F-134, but the lack of power saves on the running gear. With what you're looking to do, find a decent body and build everything else on another frame, it'll be easier.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.