Off Roading Forums banner

5.2L/318ci swap in a TJ

15K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
Has anyone performed or researched a 5.2L/318ci V8 swap in a 97-00 TJ? I'm picturing the following scenario: 5.2L SEFI V8, NV4500 tranny and Atlas II transfer case. Expensive, yes...but is it feasible? Does Advance Adapters have what I'd need to set this up?

#2 ·
Hey, Since you're doing a complete drive train the swap shouldnt be too bad, the only trick part would lining everything up right. Keep in mind you will have to swap out the front and rear axles too since the 318 will just chew up a dana 30/35. Call advanced adapters 1-800-775-4407 and see what they have as far as mounting kits go. I heard someone say that the 318 may be too tall for the shorter engine bay of a TJ but i sugest you measure it first.....

hope that help a little

Greg
1985 Cj7

Jeep'n Greg

G
#3 ·
The Dana 30 front axle should work fine in the front for most drivers, as they are used in ZJs and WJs with V8s. Some TJs have Dana 44s, these should be OK also for most drivers. Advance Adapters hasn't engineered any Dodge V8 swaps, last I've heard, but you won't need any adapters for the driveline if you use a Dodge 4X4 NV4500, bellhousing and clutch parts. The stock hydraulic clutch Master/slave setup from the TJ will work the Dodge clutch. The NV4500 will bolt to the stock t-case with no adapter, and the replacement Atlas 2 will fit the same. You will want an engine from the same year, or newer, as the TJ you use for the swap, (for legality in CA), as most '98 and up TJs require a evaporative leak detection system for the PCM not to set codes. The stock guages, being computer driven, will work fine with the signals from the V8 PCM you will be using. Only manual trans Dodge Dakota or Ram 1500 PCMs should be useable with the 5-speed. A customized wiring harness will be needed, combining parts of the original TJ harness with parts of the donor engine/body wiring. The original factory manuals for the TJ and the Dodge would be most helpful here. Stock Dodge exhaust manifolds should work fine, maybe even the stock catalytic converter/headpipe assembly would work. If not, a good muffler shop can fabricate the exhaust easily enough. A custom radiator would be needed as the factory TJ radiator has plastic tanks and the hose inlet/outlet need to be swapped. The A/C compressor from the Dodge will work, with customizing of the hoses. ABS and speed control should work too.
Custom motor mounts will need to be fabricated, Dodge 1500 truck mounts would only require a channel type bracket to be fabricated, look under one and you will see what I mean. The stock TJ air cleaner will hook up easily if you get the air horn off of a '93-'98 ZJ V8, it only sits an inch or so over the throttle body, and the tube size is really close. If you have room, the late Dakota air horn would flow more air. A ZJ power steering gear setup would be preferred to the Dodge style, it uses the same pump type as the TJ. The TJ pressure and return hoses will hook right up too, then.
Be sure you can get as much of the donor trucks wiring, fuel lines, cat-con, clutch parts, shifter, alt, starter, flywheel, distributor, A/C compressor and lines, brackets, ZJ powersteering pump/brackets/belt, fan and fan clutch, throttle cable, etc. etc. etc.! At least work out a deal with the wrecker so if you discover something that you need is missing, or you forgot to get, they'll get it for you or let you dig for it in their yard. Most yards will if you explain what you're trying to do up front. They may offer you a trade in/discount on your old driveline too!
Hope this helps, good luck!

G
#6 ·
The earlier type system, '92-'95, would be much easier to use than the later OBD2 system in your CJ. The later engines are the same mechanically, but the EFI is much more complicated. Be sure to get a matching PCM with the engine as '92-'93 use a different style fuel rail with the fuel pressure regulator built in and a different injector flow calibration. The '94 and newer engines require an external pressure regulator (originally part of the in-tank pump) and don't have a fuel return line. I run the early rail with late injectors installed, with a return line to the tank. I mounted a '90 XJ Bosch pump on the framerail, in the manner of the Mopar 4.2 EFI kit, no problems. I tried running the early injectors, which flow less, with the '95 Dakota PCM, it was adding 60% more pulsewidth once the PCM adapted. It ran poorly until it warmed up. The late injectors are the same as the 360 Magnum, and have grey or black plastic connector sockets. The early ones are yellow.
The Magnum engines are about 3" shorter than the AMC V8, allowing you to position it forward for a longer transmission, and stock exhaust manifold clearance. If you prefer a manual trans, the Dodge 4X4 5 speeds fit the 300 t-case without adapters, and the '94-'95 YJ hydraulic master/slave cylinder will adapt to the CJ body easily, and fit the trans properly. The Jeep 3 speed 999 auto trans would require a bellhousing switch with one off a Dodge, easy if you are familiar with the rebuilding of auto transmissions. The 46RH out of a '93-'95ZJ will work in a CJ8, (too long for a CJ7), if you prefer an OD automatic, and you compensate for the trans pan like the 727s require. Motor mounts need to be fabricated, I used 1/4" plate steel bolted to the Magnum block to adapt to stock AMC V8 frame and engine brackets, and mounts, to get the original offset of the motor towards the drivers' side. The stock reverse rotation 19.5" fan and V8 shroud work well with the Magnum fan clutch.
Mopar performance has been rumored to be in the process of making a stand alone harness/EFI kit for the swapping of Magnum V8s, but they haven't retuned my E-mail inquiries yet. Hesco, the people who make the 4.2 MPI kit, may be a source for a harness, otherwise one will have to be made up from a stock one.
Maybe if enough demand is shown to Mopar, they will decide to produce the wiring harness, which is the hardest part of the whole swap.
Mopar Performance also sells 2 styles of intake manifolds for 4 barrels, single and dual plane, and the older style 318, 340, 360 ignition parts will fit the Magnum engine fine, allowing you to run one without EFI if smog is not a concern in your area.
If anyone decides to do such a swap, E-mail me with any questions, I'll be glad to advise and help as much as possible, Marty.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the great info...My cousins own a wrecking yard in NY and they know I'm a Jeep freak so they call me whenever they get any type of Jeep related stuff. They have a '95 ZJ that I can get the motor, wiring, and transmission out of for cheap (I knew my family was good for something).
I measured up the 46RH on my '95 ZJ today so I know it won't fit in my CJ-7. If I still got the engine I would have to figure out what tranny to get. NV4500 is the obvious choice but I already asked and they don't have any laying around...so it would cost me a bit to find one from another source. I will really miss the 6.32 on my T-18 though...Did Dodge use any of the other HD truck 4 speeds behind their V8's?
Its not like I really need to do a swap...my 304 is running strong. Mabye I'll have them hang on to the engine and wiring harness for me and see what I can find for a tranny and plan the swap for next year.

'79 CJ-7

G
#8 ·
Dodge used the NP435 granny 4 speed for many years before they started with the NV4500 (back to the 50s). It should be fairly easy to find, comparatively cheap to buy and rebuild. I'm not sure, but I believe that the low gear was in the 6.40-1 area, maybe lower, at least on some of them. The NP435 is shorter than most any other trans and would fit fine in the CJ-7. Advance Adapters makes an adapter for the CJ cases. Use an earlier truck bellhousing (modify it by grinding a clearance hole for the block mounted crank sensor), the Magnum flywheel (the EFI reads notches in it for a crank reference signal), and an 11" diaphram clutch. The stock Dodge mechanical throwout fork will require fabrication/mods be done to the AMC clutch linkage, but they shouldn't be too extensive.
Hope this helps, good luck!

#10 ·
By the way Marty,
Youve contributed some oustanding informative posts on the Mopar engines. I will be doing a V8 swap this winter into my 89 YJ. Ive been pricing up used Camaros 89 - 91 with 305 MPI engines, and the same year Mustangs with 302 SVO motors as donor vehicles. How does the 5.2 compare as far as torque, overheating, reliability, etc. And what vehicles would I be looking at as potential donors. Would I need to use an adapter for the Ford NP435 tranny(23 spline). Thanks again for the all the previouse info, you really know your Mopar stuff.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.

G
#11 ·
Most 5.2L Magnums have 230HP, 300Lb/Ft torque., ZJs have 220HP, same torque, due to exhaust/air cleaner differences. They have been built since '92. The 5.9L Magnum usually has the same 230 HP, except in R/T trucks and 5.9 limited ZJs, here it has 245HP, (premium fuel with different PCM timing/fuel calibrations). Torque is around 345 Lb/Ft. The camshaft is milder in the 5.9s than the one in the 5.2L, for a broader torque curve. Mopar, Crane, and other cam grinders make hotter, smog legal, computer controlled compatable cams that wake up the Magnum engines if desired. Performance PCMs and "chips" are available from Mopar and Jet, etc.
5.2s are found in all of the Dodge trucks/vans, and Jeep ZJs, '92 and up. They are made in Detroit. 5.9s come in '93 and up Dodges and '98 only ZJ 5.9 Limiteds, and may be easier to find than a 5.2. Dodge was giving them away as a no cost option in trucks, due to a shortage of 5.2s used mainly in ZJs. Dodge builds 5.9s in Detroit and in Mexico. Manual transmissions are only found in Dodge Dakotas and Rams, not in Vans or ZJs. The Dakota and Ram 1500 PCM calibrations will work best for the CJs with manual transmissions, the Mopar reman PCM I'm using is for the '94-'95 light duty, 5-speed CA model.
The only usual problems are waterpumps, around 40K, intake manifold plenum plate gasket leaks (oil consumption,pinging-TSB updated part) around 60-70K. Some Mexico 5.9s have valve seats prone to crack, usually no noted unless overheated. Intake manifold end seals leak on the older ones, a new gasket/bolt package seems to work well. We've only seen 2 5.2s fail that weren't due to lack of oil or coolant; a loose wrist pin at 600 miles (new short block, the "old" cam and lifters are in my engine now), and a broken valve spring at 69K(no bent valve). Overall, more reliable than the 4.0L!
With the 5.2l in my CJ, it's a whole different animal, pulls hard from 2500-5200 redline in the PCM (fuel shutoff). It pulls harder than the six below 2500 also, it cruises in 5th at approx1900 RPM, but downshifting is necessary to pass quickly or climb grades. (I'm running 3.31 gears and 31-10.50 tires, .75 OD fifth). It idles smooth at 650. Averaging 14-15MPG, best of 17.2 highwy at 70, full camping load. I've put about 8K miles on it since November, no problems.
When I first put it together, I used a fan clutch of suspect origin (I work at the dealer, I get to pick through the warranty parts that Chrysler doesn't want returned), it never seemed to engage the fan. I never overheated it though it did run to the top of the green running slow through a sand wash. I bought a new HD Dodge clutch, and it's never gone over 1/3rd green. I'm using the stock 3 row high efficiency cored, late A/C type, 6 cylinder CJ radiator, stock CJ V8 fan shroud (modified to seal to the late radiator and clearanced for the new hose locations), reversed the inlet/outlet and relocated filler cap (to the middle of the top tank like the V8 CJ radiators),Dodge fan clutch with the stock CJ 19.5" reverse rotation 7 blade fan. I'm not sure on the Ford trans compatability with the Dodge, but it probably is the same. Tha Advance Adapters catalog may say if it is the same or not. Many old Mopar transmissions used the 23 spline input shaft, if I'm not mistaken. The case pattern is probably the same, the length of the input gear or the size of the pilot may be different, though, I'm not sure. The Mopar trans may have the same low gear as the Ford, too, I'm not 100% sure here, either.
Hope this answers your questions, Marty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.