Off Roading Forums banner

York on V-8

383 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
Anyone have a picture of a York mounted on an AMC V-8 (304, 360, 401) so I could see how the brackets and compressor are oriented? Thanks in advance.

By the way...if you're looking at the pulley on the front of the York, which way does it spin? (clockwise or counter-clockwise) Does it matter...or does switching the direction just switch which hose is input and which is output?

Deano

Evolution of tools: stone, hammer, wrench, socket, impact, really big hammer, blue wrench.

#2 ·
according to the YORK service manual, it can spin either direction with no "field" adjustment nesseccary..what ever that means.

the unit can be mounted in any position so long as the suction inlet is the uppermost one.

the compressor lies side ways ( fittings towards passenger side) on teh aluminum thick bracket, the 3 studs in the bollot of the compressor go thru the alum bracket and fasten with lock washers and nuts.

the triangular ( 3 hole) bracket catches 2 top bolts on teh compressor and the single hole catches the ign coil mount poin on the intake manifold
WARNING: the 2 bolts that go into the compressor on the top triangular bracket must be REALLY SHORT, or you will bust the compressor housing ( ask me how O know)

the long skinny skelatanized bracket is the newer alternator bracket.

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces

#3 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Think about it Deano......there IS no cam to open the valves, so the direction of flow will, well........not really change. Like how does the reed valve know which way the crank is going. The little con rod oils from the mist in the crankcase so it makes no difference. If the suction ends up on bottom it will drain crankcase oil into the intake cavity and suck it up on the intake stroke. You can, at your option, drop the pan and plug that little hole, then add a vent on top. As I mentioned, our York setup did not exactly bolt up like it was supposed to. I don't know if it was off a car with a different alternator or what, but we did have to fab up some alternator brackets to fit./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.