Off Roading Forums banner

Axels for big 'ol tires....

870 views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  TEX 
G
#1 ·
Axels for big \'ol tires....

Hey everybody, how are you guys/gals doin?
I was just curious what axels worked best for a mudder ridin on a set of 44's. Ok a few years down the road, when I have saved up the money, lol... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif I want to turn my '57/'49 Willys Delivery into a big 'ol mudder /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif w/ a 472 hemi /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif , and other such goodies, and I wanted to know, what the best, nearly indestructable axels would be? /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Thanks a lot everybody....

Peter Lombardi
'89 YJ 4.5in. RE Ext. Duty
'57/49 Willys Wagon Delivery 4x4 350

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Re: Axels for big \'ol tires....

How indestructable do you want? A Dana 60 front and rear or Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear would be strong enough. If you want more you could get a Dana 70 front and rear or Dana 80 or 135 rear, which are real big. If that isn't big enough you could get 2 1/2 ton surplus military axles which are real big, but if that isn't big enought then you could buy 5 ton rockwells. I don't know how your going to turn those but I have seen a 5 ton in the back of a Scout. Do some searching and be prepared to spend money.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
WALSTIB/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G
#4 ·
Re: Axels for big \'ol tires....

When you say you want to build a mudder, do you want to play, or race? 'Cause the answer to the question is going to be way different. How much is this thing gonna weigh? Will it be stripped down to be fast, or loaded up with tools & a winch?

For running in a straight line for a couple hundred feet & shutting it off in a stripped down vehicle, I'd say go 44 front 60 rear. To withstand more weight & all-day mud bashing, 60/70 or 60/14-bolt.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.