Off Roading Forums banner

Clutch pedal staying down

778 views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
Hi All
Went for a drive this evening and pushed in my clutch pedal and it didn't come right back up?????Well I know my linkage is worn really bad ,so I ordered the rods and planned to weld and redrill the bellcrank holes...and lo and behold !!! the parts were delivered friday evening.
While disassembling it I found out the clutch pedal seems to be binding also so my question is has anyone replaced the bushings in the clutch pedal? and do you think I may be able to get away with just replacing the worn parts right now till I can order the bushings.How much of a P.I.T.A. was it to get the overcenter spring off the pedal.I have already drilled the hole in the firewall but its kinda late to really start in on it...
Any helpfull hints would be appreciated...T.I.A.
Ray

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it

#2 ·
Re: Clutch pedal sticking down

Hi again
well I welded and re drilled the belcrank and am waiting for the paint to dry enough to handle it .I am going to reassemble it and hope for the best as it is my daily driver .
Anyone with info. or tips on the overcenter spring removal would be appreciated!(The manual says to use a piece of wire and a 2X4 ...sounds easier than it is i have tried )
If anyone has any ideas where I could pick up " hemi " joints I may do that later as I now have a used rod in my posession/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it

G
#3 ·
Re: Clutch pedal sticking down

The binding you feel may be the normal function of the overtravel spring. The only safe way of removing the spring, other than the 2x4 and wire trick is to remove the pedal support from behind the dash, then the pedal can be rotated more forward releasing the spring tension. Later CJs don't have the heavy overtravel spring, only a lighter return spring.
Heim joints are readily available at bearing supply houses. King Bearing is the common bearing house in So.Cal. Industrial supply houses, like Granger also stock these. Sometimes, surplus stores have them cheap too and are worth checking out.
Hope this helps, good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.