shackle reversal question

389 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I am planning on a shackle reversal on my cj-6, here is what I am using:
stock wrangler springs
spring over axle
narrowed travellall dana 44
My question is this; why do most shackle reversals use blocks to lower the spring eye? is this to keep caster and pinnion angle reasonable? I am planning on resetting the caster and pinion angle when the axle housing is narrowed, and I want to make sure there are no other reasons for the blocks. any opinions and ideas would be appreciated.
thanks, jjc

#3 ·
blocks? not quite sure what you are referring to.. but i think i have a clue..
on the front just below the bumper, under the frame? you put blocks there to keep the spring eye hole in the somewhat same location as when you had the shackle up front.. therefore keeping your ride height about the same as it was.. you raise or lower that hole and you vary the ride height.. kinda like putting longer shackles up front for lift..
i hope that is what you are looking for.

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

#4 ·
i belive the "blocks" you are seeing are probable like my shackle reversal// actually they are pieces of 3" square tube with one side cut out. this makes a very easy and strong way to mount the springs. i think there are some pics on the website, i did almost exactly what you are planning

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....see it at http://www.jeepgod.net

G
#5 ·
What kind of reversal kit are you using? I installed a Warrior Products kit on my CJ5 and it had a strengthening crossbar that connected the "blocks" I believe you are referring to. Obviously, with shackles on the rear of the spring (sitting about 2-3 inches lower than the stock spring eye) you need some way to lower the front spring mount accordingly - hence the "blocks". Otherwise, you'd end up with about 16 degrees of caster! On my lifted (4 inches) CJ, I still ended up with about 12 degrees of caster, about an inch and a half more wheelbase and had to cut and reweld my spring perches and lengthen the front driveshaft. Some "bolt-on"!

RenegadeV8

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.