Off Roading Forums banner

How to test exhaust leak?

1K views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I think I may have a leak where the lower exhaust pipe connects to the cat, right where they bolt together....my floor is scorching hot right above it. Is there any way to test it in my driveway? Like soapy water, or will that just steam off and not give me a clue..any ideas?
Thanks!

#2 ·
You could make a home-made stethescope by using a piece of 3/8" wide metal pipe and attach rubber tubing to it. Stick the metal end around various places you suspect a leak and have the rubber end in your ear listening, to detect a leak.

Tim
'66 Jeepster Commando w/Buick 252/4.1L V-6
'70 Wagoneer w/Buick 350 V-8

G
#4 ·
Think about trying this, bearing in mind that you do so at your own risk:

Leave the rig outside overnight so the whole exhaust system is cold. Have your old lady or wife or significant other (what's the right thing to say these days? I'm not PC enough to know) or a neighbor or somebody get into it and fire it up.

THIS IS CRITICALLY IMPORTANT: WHOEVER THE HELL FIRES THE RIG UP HAS GOT TO BE STONE COLD SOBER, A VERY VERY GOOD FRIEND OF YOURS, RELIABLE AS A ROLEX WATCH AND COMPLETELY SANE BY ANYBODY'S MEASURE!!!!!

Because when this person, who you trust with both your gonads and your life, fires your rig up, the following conditions will be in effect:

1. emergency brake is gonna be set;
2. the rig is gonna be in neutral (park if you have a slush box);
3. you are gonna be underneath it, vulnerable as an old skunk in the middle of a California eight lane at the height of rush hour.

Hold your hands around the joint you suspect and see if you feel puffs of warm air.

Get the hell out from under the rig and have it shut down. If you felt puffs of warm air, you have a leak. If you didn't, consider a heat shield.

There have to be safer ways to check this and I hope and trust someone posts them. But, until that happens, this should work.

Bone stock '81 CJ7,'96 ZJ.
"Will Rogers never met Bill Clinton."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.