Off Roading Forums banner

Does anyone know where to get electrical switches that don't break!!!!!!!

475 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  CJDave 
#1 ·
Does anyone know where to get electrical switches that don\'t break!!!!!!!

This is the second switch to go. The first was a cheap plastic switch from the discount auto store. It failed. The second and most recent one was a metal one. Yes it too came from discount auto, but it seemed to be a beefier unit. Now after a nasty washboard road It broke, knocking the rivits totally loose and actually separating the case. This is not a good thing when this switch operates my dual electric fans for my cooling. Is there a place that makes unbreakable switches??? I was thinking about getting those aircraft toggle switches. The ones with a cover that flips up. I only have to switches, one for the fans and one for my KC's, now I want something that won't fall to crap when I need it to work. If someone can steer me into the right direction that would be really appreciated.
Thanks
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

G
#2 ·
Re: Does anyone know where to get electrical switches that don\'t break!!!!!!!

aircraft switches are pretty durable, but don't tolerate dirt and moisture, they are also very expensive. When I was in the airforce I had a young airman approach me to do a material turn in for him, he had ordered a switch guard that he was planning on using in his own car, when it issued and he found out it cost $35 he felt to guilty to keep it! I would reccomend switches made by cole-herse napa can order them, or go to a agricultural or heavy equipment dealer they have some pretty good stuff. John Deere dealers are usually the nicest, Cat dealer have the best stuff, highest prices, and worst attitude. Case IH and the foriegn dealers are usually o.k. to deal with.
good luck jjc

#3 ·

I always use silicone when installing switches, relays, or any other electronic components. I put it on the screw treads before I assemble, if its a mounting bolt or screw, and I put it pretty liberaly on the underside of the relays,my thought process is that it helps dampen vibration. I put it over electric connectors after the installation to prevent accidental shorts, I put it at the wire entrances into all electrical housings(lights,compressor, wire connectors, everyting) again it should reduce the affects of vibration and aid in waterproofing. I probably have enough silicone on my YJ to build a Pamela Anderson knock off. But I can honestly say I havent had an electrical problem in 3 years and I run a lot of electronics

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.

#4 ·

jacobs electronics is a good source for switches, electronics, etc..

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

G
#5 ·

This is your lucky day. I have not ever used any of their switches but from their website I do not think they are jerking anyone around. I also do not know how much the switches are. The ones with a flip up cover are ver expensive, Jegs has the best prices at about $17 each. These guys listed below I would think have the better product though. Good Luck
http://www.cpi-nj.com/library/thermal/ther_adseries_more.asp

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif 1976 CJ-7,CHEVY 350, 33'S, 3" LIFT, THAT COVERS MOST OF THE MAJOR STUFF /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

#6 ·

/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Dan, my moonguys/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifalways use "Marine Grade" stuff because they feel that the cases are more durable. Marine grade stuff is usually built for outdoor panels and applications like the tractors that were mentioned. Most auto parts outfits will have them./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.