Off Roading Forums banner

backspacing

396 views 1 reply 0 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I'm running 32x11.50's on my '73 5 right now, and looking to upgrade to 33x12.50's. I put a 2½" suspension lift on it, but I'm hoping to keep the center of gravity as low as possible. Instead of adding more lift I'd much rather start trimming, except the rubbing of the tires against the inside seems to make this a problem. What exactly is backspacing and how much of it do I need to prevent as much rub? I'm looking to order some steel rims here soon, so what might you prefer or what do I specifically ask for when ordering them?

G
#2 ·
The only way to really tell which offset you need is by measuring what you have now and subtracting an inch. Take off one of your present rims. Lay it down on the ground with the "out" side down. Measure from the tire flange to the bolt pattern/axle surface. A zero offset 6" rim will measure 3". A 8" rim with zero offset will measure 4", etc. If you wanted to run a 10" rim, and you had a measurement of 4", for example, you would want the measurement to be 3" inside, and 7" outside (negative offset)to get extra clearance. A good tire/wheel store will work with you to get the right size. Hope this helps, good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.