Off Roading Forums banner

winch

379 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  JEEPN 
G
#1 ·
Just mounted my new winch on my 1979 CJ-7 . Seems like I've be saving a long time for it.
Any and all thoughts to secure it where it won"t disappear in the middle of the night.
The mounting plate just has four bolts, two on each end coming up through, with a nut and lock washer.
Just a little to easy to disappear.

#5 ·
Weld a cover over at least one of the bolts. Just remember, you will need to grind off the cover whenever you need to take the winch off. And, OH YES, the advice from the previous post is right on, DON'T weld the bolts, the heat changes their strength.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (& rocks & rivers & mountians etc, You get the picture.)

G
#6 ·
What about just a little spot weld on the top of the bolt, just enough to prevent the nut from being able to get taken off without cutting or grinding?

Just a really quick hit with a mig welder on the top probably won't do much to the properties of the metal, would it? At least not down low on the bolt where the force will be acting?

Any thoughts?

#7 ·
No, a short blast won't hurt it, but neither will hititng the top of it with a hammer to bung up the threads. I drilled mine out to fit larger bolts, and added 2 more, so there are 6 holding it on. You can also add some of the green locktite to the threads, the kind that takes heat to remove. You won't get them off then, and they'll never loosen. Just some suggestions, good luck.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.