Off Roading Forums banner

Now that the steering conversion is done, Does anyone have the wiring scematics for a GM column???

867 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Junk Yard Genius 
#1 ·
Now that the steering conversion is done, Does anyone have the wiring scematics for a GM column???

Just like the title says. I am done, but now I want to use the turnsignals and ignition switch on my GM column. It came from a camaro. It is non-tilt. Everything is intact. meaning the wiring is still on the column with the blades out . Can i get the other part of the clip so the wiring will look stock?? Or do they not make that plastic clip part anymore for the wiring to "plug" in? Thanks if someone can scan the wiring for me. Now i just have to find a use for the hole in the dash when i remove the ignition switch from it. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
Thanks in advance
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Re: Now that the steering conversion is done, Does anyone have the wiring scematics for a GM column???

Hey Dan,
You're in luck. Painless Wiring has the plug that you need. Part number 30806 for retrofits which retails for $12.95, or part number 30805 which includes a pigtail for $44.95. It should come with the schematic, but if not I saw a post earlier today where TeamRush mentioned that he has a schematic for GM columns.

#3 ·
Re: Now that the steering conversion is done, Does anyone have the wiring scematics for a GM column???

This was for mid to late 70's and early 80's GM Columns...
I'm not sure how many years it covers in the 80's or beond, but you are welcome to it.
See Attachment...

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"

Attachments

#4 ·

Thanks for the wiring, now i have to see if everything is the same, it should be. The column came from a camaro in the early 80's.
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

#5 ·

Dan-
I just checked TR's diagram against my Painless Jeep Universal kit for GM columns and found them to be identical.
New wire clip connectors for both sides of the long plastic connectors are readily available at your local NAPA dealer.

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep

#6 ·

Jaffer, any way you can scan those diagrams and post them or send them to me?
I'd sure like to see them with out buying the kits....

Thanks, Aaron.

#7 ·

Aaron-
The two main "Painfull" [sic] diagrams (one for the dash and one for the engine compartment) are so marked up by me now that I doubt you could make sense of them. Most of the instructions have just tables listing which Painless wire number goes to which connection. It takes A LOT of study to make sense of them.
I have been told that the Centech kits are much better.

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep

#8 ·

Allcar makes a good kit when it comes to steering columns also.
They also make a good steering column if you can afford them.

Later on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.