Off Roading Forums banner

EGR valve... No OEM #

650 views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I'm replacing the EGR valve in my '78 CJ-7, 304 V8, 2 bbl. There is no OEM # stamped on the EGR that I pulled. I went to Autozone, and they gave me a list of 19 EGR valves that they could order. I cross-referenced that list with my FSM parts book, and 3 of the numbers matched for a '78. Will any of these 3 EGR valves work? The local Jeep parts guy couldn't tell me.

Thanks,

Jim

#2 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif On our '79 304 we used an ECHLIN 2-3045 EGR Valve.....from NAPA auto parts./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif I have the rest of the stuff by number if you need it./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

G
#3 ·
Thank you, CJDave. I went ahead and ordered one based on best guess. If it doesn't work, I will definitely call. I really appreciate your help with my lack of skills/knowledge. (I'm gonna make this Jeep into something nice even if it kills me.)

Jim

G
#4 ·
Many of the aftermarket EGR valves come with an assortment of washers, with different sized holes, that you use to calibrate the flow to match a specific factory valve. If the dealer can't give you the original part number used, I find that one of the mid sized washers is a good bet. You will need to test drive the Jeep after installing it to see if there are any new sags or hesitations (use a smaller one), or if it pings on light acceleration (with proper ignition timing) (go with a larger one). The instruction sheet that comes with the valve will give the numbers that normally are required for Jeeps, use these to narrow your selection. Hope this helps, good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.