Off Roading Forums banner

CJ-7, T-18 tranny problem--no 3rd gear--need suggestions

709 views 2 replies 0 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
My 1977 CJ-7 with 258, 4 speed T-18 tranny, no longer has 3rd gear?!! In the past year it has often became "stuck" in a gear and took some driving before releasing. Most often the stick was in the neutral position but it was actually in 3rd or 4th gear. You can't get it out of gear by moving the gear shift. You just have to start driving-after a few minutes it will "pop" out of that gear and be in neutral. Then it will shift and drive fine for a few days or a few weeks. Then all of a sudden -- it is stuck in a gear again.

But now-- there is no 3rd gear even when everything is operating normal. That has never happened before. What do you think is the problem? I've heard that the T-18 tranny is a tough transmission. Does it sound like it's time to rebuild? Or just a shifter/linkage problem? Tranny's are not my specialty. that is why I put an auto in my YJ.
Any info will be very appreciated.

John
89YJ-350V8,etc.

G
#2 ·
Sounds to me that you stick is worn out, or the shift forks.Take the top off of it and have a looky.I'm no expert, but if it runs in all the gears, it's more than likly somthing in the shifter.

G
#3 ·
step 1. drain the gear lube and check for metal in the bottom, you can pull the pto cover if you need a better look.
step 2. pull up the shifter boot, using channel lock pliers loosen and remove the sheetmetal nut that holds the shifter in, inspect the shifter ball and index pin for wear (if the shifter rotates when you shift it is the index pin wear)
step 3. pull the top hat off of the transmission and inspect forks for wear.

from your description it sounds like it is in the shifter stalk or fork, but I like to drain the tranny first to see if there is evidence of failure that will give some idea of what failed and the overall condition of the transmission.
good luck jjc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.