Off Roading Forums banner

fender flare ideas!

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  JEEPN 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had come up with some novel fender flare ideas. I have a tough time paying $200-250 bucks for aftermarket
flares. I can think of a lot of other stuff I would buy for that kind of money. I have been toying with the idea of using diamond plate or
something like that but I don't have all the engineering points worked out yet, especially since I want to trim the fender area to something
similar to the TJ's. Other ideas would be appreciated!!!

CJay

#3 ·
Yeah, that is one way to go, but will stock TJ fender flares be wide enough to cover 33x12.5"'s ?
Obviously that depends on backspacing and vehicle, etc. but I was also interested in other possibilities,
since there are a lot of people on this site who are more likely to build something if remotely possible rather than
buying it:)

CJay

G
#4 ·
TJ flares are plenty wide to cover 33's on a CJ. If the standard ones don't suit you, get some from a Sahara as they are even wider. Be aware that they will require a little bit of fender trimming. Check out Jeepskate's site. It will answer most of your questions. The biggest problem in finding some for sale.

G
#5 ·
The TJ flares cover my 35x12.5s mounted on 15x10 4" backspacing wheels just right (75 CJ). The outer edge of the flare is even with the outer edge of the tire. On the other hand, I have seen stock CJ flares for $40 a set and I have a set of Xenon extended flares for a CJ out in my shed that I will let go for $100 if you're interested.

The Grim Jeeper!

#6 ·
ok.. here is an idea that i was going to do.. until i came across some really cheap exeon flares.. i was going to use semi mud flaps.. cut them in half and incorporate them into the fenders with wing nuts.. and some L brackets tac welded to the inside of the fenders.. make them as wide as you want.. but you dont really need anything that drastic.. i am running full width axles.. and those fender flares should be plenty to cover those tires.. just my ideas..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

#7 ·
Gee, I just spent $12 at Wal Mart for some black 5" lawn edging. It fits under the body 1" to give 4" width. They're flexible, cheap, black, and really don't look bad. Don't have any pics yet as the jeep is apart. Attach them using self drilling screws. You won't mind bashing them around and they'll take a lot of abuse.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.