Best replacement body tub? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 06:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Best replacement body tub?

Hey, as some of you know, I just finished a 350/700R4 swap in my 92 Wrangler. And, some of you may have read about my relationship with Mr. Murphy (of Murphy's Law). Well, it seems that old Murph (we're on a first name basis) has decided to move in with me for a while. After all my efforts, tears(literally), blood, pain, cussing, and after all that - pride, some bas#[email protected] semi-driver decided to merge his rig into my jeep while I was on my way to work. So, needless to say, back into the shop I go. Im now in the market for a fiberglass body tub, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. I guess that weight is not at the top of my list of priorities. Im more concearned with having a good place to mount my doors and everthing else to. Ive seen the tubs in all the Jeep mags and, of course, everyony claims to have the best. Who really does? Also, I would entertain the idea of picking up a used tub if anyone has one "lying around".
Thanks in advance. And I really have to say; although Ive only been with this board a short period of time, I believe this is one of the finest groups of people Ive found on the net. Bravo!

Holy sh*t thats a long way down!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 07:14 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Best replacement body tub?

If you are in the market for a fiberglass tub it is hard to beat a 4WD hardware tub. IMHO, this make is the best value for the dollar. The fit and quality are first class. Your doors and top will fit better than on your OEM tub.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 09:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got an AJ's deluxe 'glass tub, and I am very impressed with the construction of the piece. It is thick in all the correct places and has metal pieces where needed so you can drill and tap for mounting the hood, dash, windshield, body bolts, etc. That's a good feature because it's pretty hard to get a nut on the back of some of the bolts under the dash.

It took about 2 months for me to get my tub. I wasn't in a hurry, so I didn't hound them for quick delivery, so you might be able to get it faster if you asked.

The only complaint I have with the body is some minor fitment issues. I've had trouble trying to mount Wrangler half doors on the jeep. I also had to make some 1/4 inch shims for the windshield hinges to fit correctly. The fenders (also from AJ's) were a little difficult to line up also.

I don't have any experience with 4wdh bodies, so I really can't compare. There is ALOT of work involved in putting a fiberglass body on, and alot of "guesswork" associated with it. There is no complete source for answers that come up when you are getting ready to drill holes or cut out your firewall. Even after triple checking my steering column opening, I still cut it too far in, which threw off my dash openings and so forth. I got it all to work, but not without alot of jerry rigging.

Would I get another fiberglass body? Probably so, because even after all the work, it's a very comforting feeling that the rust monster won't be eating away at my CJ through the night. Although, I would seriously consider looking at the Willys-Overland replacement bodies if I were in the market right now.

Feel free to ask me any questions (either on the board or by e-mail), and I'll try my best to help out.

Greg J.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 09:32 PM
joeybcdt

What about Quadratrac's new Hum-J-7 tub? YUK!

Joey

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 07:07 AM
Can't Get Enough

I also have a 4WDH fiberglass tub,fenders and hood. I'm very happy with it and recommend it to anyone who asks. I also hear that the AJ's is good quality.

Rick
80 CJ7
258 T176 TR upgrade
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 05:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thank for the info! Were there any installation issues with the 4WDH tubs as CJ3:16 had with AJs tub? Should I be prepared to invest in anything in addition to the tub itself and the basic install kit?

Holy sh*t thats a long way down!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 05:39 PM
Veteran

You will need the door striker kit.

http://www.in2jeeps.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 06:35 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Heck, go aluminum!

Jeep...need I say more?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 06:15 AM

I love my 4WD Harware tub. I did a frame-up in '96, and it has held up very well. It's my daily driver, and I wheel it pretty hard on weekends. The only steel on my Jeep now is the grill and windshield frame. I kept it "gel coat white", which made the whole project easier and cheaper. It looks great and if/when I whack a fender I can just bolt on a replacement without worrying about matching the paint.
My tub already had nut plates in the firewall to attach the fenders, while I have seen some others that didn't. This caused my buddy great aggrivation when he tried to attach them on the right side with the heater box already installed.
Measure and cut at a 10:1 ratio, and take your time. Some people have reported success in removing the spotwelded firewall doubler from the steel tub and reusing it on the F/G. Run dedicated grounds to the major components. I also upgraded my windshield washer sprayer from the crappy CJ style to the YJ style.
As far as "addition investments", it's the best time to do almost any other work. I changed my clutch linkage to hydraulic, and ran new stainless fuel and brake lines. Those were alot easier to put in new than to try and save the old ones. Even more so because I got the premade ones, with all the bends, gravel guards, and fittings.
Bob in Ma

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 08:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Has anyone ever used a tub supplied through Steelhorse or Crown Automotive? I found one that a guy bought thru 4 wd parts in Austin and I called them. They are supplied from the above mentioned folks. I was looking at the Willys-Overland steel body but a good deal on this never installed 'glass body may make me switch. Thanks

'85 CJ7 Bone Stock, in pieces..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode