Off Roading Forums banner

axle question

364 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  JEEPN 
#1 ·
I have dana 30 and amc 20 wide trac axles on my jeep now. They have the 2.73 gear ratio. I am wanting to go to 4.10. Should I pay to get the gears changed out or should I just buy a dana 30 and a dana 44 from a guy that already has the 4.10's? The prices to do either one are about the same. Buying the axles from the guy would probably turn out a little cheaper. If I switch to the 44 in the rear, what else will I have to change? Will I have to get a new driveshaft? I'm still learning about all this so I'm sorry if some of these questions sound stupid. Thanks a lot, Andy

#2 ·
I would go with a swap to the D44 if the used stuff is a good deal and substantialy cheaper than the new. You can swap it in and sell your axles, to lower the price even more. You dont know what the used stuff has been through, so inspect as much as you can. Its pretty easy to open up the diff covers and inspect, but you still dont know how its been maintained or abused, its also hard to see a slightly bent axle shaft or hub unless you can spin a wheel on it. If you go to a D44 you may have to have the Drive shaft shortened or lengthened but you shouldnt have to replace, most drive shaft shops will resize, balance and provide new U joints for about $60 - $80. Keep in mind though if the used stuff does not appear to be in good shape, dont do it. The 20 can be built to be as strong as a 44 with some upgrades, the R&P on a 20 are actualy bigger and beefier than a D44.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.

#3 ·
In reply to:

The 20 can be built to be as strong as a 44 with some upgrades, the R&P on a 20 are actualy bigger and beefier than a D44.
Yep, the R&P on the M20 is 3/8" larger than the D44. The brakes on the other hand, are 42% larger on the D44 than the M20. The M20 also has weaker tubes, smaller shafts, and less splines.

With the 1-piece shafts the M20 and D44 are about equal for normal use. The D44 is a nice axle, far more is available for it than any other axle out there. If it's the Scout II D44, it is 1/4" closer to your transfer case than the M20, so you shouldn't need to change driveshafts. The U-joints are also the same size. If it were me I'd look over the D44 carefully, if good, buy it. You can always put the other axles in something else (like I'm doing), or sell them and recoup some of your money.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.