Off Roading Forums banner

Weber carburator conversion

901 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I am thinking about replacing my tired old BBD with a Weber K551 this month. I've got a few questions for anyone that has done this. I have a 79 CJ7 with a 258 and a TH400 automatic transmission. Will the Weber work with the auto tranny (kickdown)? Is this a realatively easy conversion? Are the results worth the $350 price tag? Any words of advice, warnings, suggestions? Thanks

G
#2 ·
I likely still have my instructions. I recall a commercial web site exists too. I'll get back to you tomorrow with the info - need to scan it in case I don't find the web site address.
-Drew M.

Didn't find my old installation instructions - it pretty straight forward. Salient points are: install the adapter carb plate w/ Locktite to it doesn't vibrate loose (mine did 2x before Locktite) and make sure the throttle plates do not contact the carb adapter when at full throttle. Found a web site with tuning instructions (very handy) www.redline@redlineweber.com/idle_adjustment.htm

#4 ·
I would assume since it is a 79 w/TH400 it is the Quadratrac model. Same thing I have. I just recently installed this carb on my jeep. There is no kick down linkage to contend with on the TH400. Kickdown is controlled electrically by a gas pedal actuated switch.

IMHO, it was definitely worth the money. Idle is much smoother, easier starting, better pickup. Just all around better performance than the old BBD and my gas mileage increased by about 3mpg to boot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.