Off Roading Forums banner

Diesel engine in 85 CJ7

2K views 4 replies 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I did a search on SWB and found nothing on installing a diesel engine in a CJ.

I currently have an 85 CJ7 stock 258, T176, Dana 300, etc.

I would like to install a diesel engine. I've seen 6.2L, 7.3L and even small Isuzu diesel engines for sale on the web, but what about tranny.

I would appreciate any info anyone might have on doing this type of conversion.

Thanks in advance

John C.

Cinquej@remltd.com

G
#2 ·
There has actually been quite a bit of posting on this question...if I could only remember the title it was under...???

Anyhow, the big problem with the 7.3 or with a cummins or anythin like that is the weight. Serious suspension upgrades would be needed. Moreover, if you are putting a healthy diesel in there, count on upgrading transmissions, transfer case (I think...dana 300s are strong, but I don't know if they'd like living behind a healthy diesel), driveshafts, and axles. From what I remember of the last group of posts, a GM 6.2L would be the best bet...it's a diesel, but it's not as heavy, and it isn't quite as potent in stock form. Probably the simplest solution would be to find an old GM 350 diesel in an olds or something, but from what I hear, they aren't build nearly strong enough to withstand the compression from the diesel. As far as the possibility of using an Isuzu diesel, that would probably be easier...lighter, smaller, etc. Some had mentioned looking for a 4 cylinder cummins and installing that. If you go with the 6.2 and want an auto, a TH700R4 is probably your best bet...it was in a lot of diesels, and finding the two together would probably not be too hard. But you'll probably run into length issues with that setup, and might want to look into a manual (sadly, I can't remember what the manual the diesels came with). There is a really good GM diesel webpage. I'll try to find it, but it's something like 6.2diesel.com or something like that. Til then...

Evolution of tools: stone, hammer, wrench, socket, impact, really big hammer, blue wrench.

G
#4 ·
I too have been considering this. If I can find one, I'm going with the 6.5L turbo diesel. I believe it's the same as the 6.2, just turboed. The 6.5 only weighs about 150 pounds more than a chevy 350, but I'm not real sure how that relates to a 258. The 6.5's used the nv4500 in a five-speed. Some people on here have done this conversion do a search for posts by YJDiesel. He even had some pictures he's sent me. From what he says, the conversion is not much more difficult than putting in a 350.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.