Off Roading Forums banner

Corner Panels - I have a question

307 views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a 84 CJ7 (pic included) and I got some diamond plate corner panels from a friend. However the rivots weren't in there. My question is this.

Doesn't drilling in your tub make it weak? Does it promote rust in the long run? Or will it make the corners stronger?

What rivots should I use or will stanless bolts work ok? Should I put some type of sealant between the corner panel and the tub?

Thanks a lot!

1997 TJ w/ 33's & 1984 CJ7 V8/35's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Personally, I would go with stainless hardware. When you drill, it would be a good idea to hit that spot with a rust inhibitor and possibly touch up paint. Seal all edges except the bottom. This will allow for drainage of any moisture that does get in between corner and body.

RocknCJ /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
Good judgment comes from bad experiences, bad experiences comes from bad judgment.

G
#3 ·
I have a 84 CJ7 (pic included) and I got some diamond plate corner panels from a friend. However the rivots weren't in there. My question is this.

Doesn't drilling in your tub make it weak?

No. The holes are under 1/4" and no not effect the tub structurally.

Does it promote rust in the long run?

Likely. If the corners are a dissimular metal to the Jeep tub, corrosion will take place. Assuming the metals are compatible, then you would need to keep out moisture to inhibit rust - so rust threat depends on how well you seal the area. In a dry area - maybe better to let in air to keep it dry. In PA, I sealed mine up to keep out water/salt ect. Prior owner did not seal it well and under the plates was lots of rust - he ran on NJ beaches alot too. The plates were aluminum so galvanic action was hard at work.

Or will it make the corners stronger?

Supposedly - a rock crawler can give more info on this than I. Mine, I presume, were for looks. I kept them on to hide the tub's rust damage (1985CJ).

What rivots should I use or will stanless bolts work ok? Should I put some type of sealant between the corner panel and the tub?
Rivets - smaller and look better IMHO: Probably doesn't matter - galvanic action will occur with any conducting material between the plates and tub. Non-metal fasteners would stop the galvanic action (if the plates didn't touch the tub) but are not strong enough to hold the plates in case they get used for their intended purpose.
-Drew M.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.