Off Roading Forums banner

WANTED: 76 and UP CJ Tilt Column

685 views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
Hey guys.. I'm still looking for a 76 or newer CJ tilt steering column! I can't find one anywhere down here. If you don't have one, maybe you have access to a rebuilder or a junkyard that has a nice one for a decent price. I'd spend around $100.00 plus shipping.

Please let me know if you know where I can get one of these treasured steering columns...

Thanks in advance.

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5
If a Jeep can't take you there, Think twice about going..

G
#2 ·
I've picked them from AMC cars, in the local serve-yourself boneyard. They are the identical jeep part, even the ignition plug and wiring are the same. I've never had to pay as much as 100.

bobH

G
#3 ·
With all due respect, wrecked AMC's don't exist where I am at, at least not for 250 miles around. Trying to find a junked jeep is impossible and I've been to every "U Pull It" yard and most of the "Already Pulled" yards looking for Jeeps, AMC's and early 80's Sunbirds, Cavaliers and Monza's without success. That's why I'm relying on my fellow Jeepers sprinkled in areas saturated with old rusted out Jeeps, hoping one of them can hook me up with my part!

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5

#4 ·
a guy from this bbs posted one about 2 weeks ago, i shyed away from it because he was asking $100

email me if you want me to look for his address

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces

G
#5 ·
I was going to buy it, but his partner already sold it. I'd buy it for a $100.00. The only rebuilt one I can find is close to $300.00 and I can't find any used around here.. Have to take what I can get..

If any of you out there can pull one at a wrecker for real cheap, I'll buy it and pay for shipping. I really need it! My only other alternative is to cut the one I have down by about 6 inches and weld it back together. I'm trying to avoid that.

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5

#7 ·
I Heard the 6'4" part!!
I'm No Mirco-Mini-Midget myself, and I used a late 70's tilt/ telescopic column out of a GM product.
The thought of an AMC car never even crossed my mind.
Wish I'd thought of that, It would have saved me a lot of misery.

I can provide the wiring diagram for the GM column, but I have no idea about the AMC column.

Later folks, Aaron.

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"

G
#8 ·
Check out J&W Auto at http://www.jwjeep.com . They have a big Jeep only boneyard not far from where I live. You can fill out an online parts request form and they email you back if they have the part, what shape it is in, and the cost. They will ship it too.

I bought a tub from them and many misc parts over the years. They've always been good to me.

Hope this helps,
Sean

#9 ·
Does anyone know what vehicles I could scavenge for my 89 YJ. I can get one from Centech delivered to the door for about $280. But Ive got a Junk yard Owner just outside of town that has been treating me great on prices,(he has always wanted to build a Jeep, and will spend an hour going over my YJ and just BS'n whenever I stop in for parts). Its a very well stocked bone yard. Any info would be appreciated

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.

G
#10 ·
Hey,
I know where there are a lot of tilt columns for cjs, got one my self here in Illinois at a Jeep only junk yard. I'd be happy to work something out for you. I paid like 40bucks for mine in good conditon. Post back if interested.
Jake

G
#11 ·
Jake, at that price I'm definately interested. Email me at "cwhaley@echevarria.com" or post your email address and we'll get together on how to work it out!

Thanks for the help!

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5

G
#12 ·
Every AMC car tilt I have ever seen has the wrong spline at the rag joint and the Wagoneer columns are to long. As far as I know, the only true fit for a CJ is a factory CJ column or after market column built to fit.
I was told by Centech Wire that the CJ tilt is a GM product built for the Jeeps.
Mizu.

"Some place where the beer flows like wine.....a little place called.....Aspin"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.