Off Roading Forums banner

Weber Carburator conversion

777 views 2 replies 0 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I'm thinking of replacing the tired old BBD with a Weber K551. My questions are: Will this conversion work on a 79 CJ7 with a 258 and automatic transmission (TH400)? Is this a fairly simple conversion? Any problems I should expect? Any information, suggestions, or warnings will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

G
#2 ·
I installed a Weber on my 89YJ about a year and a half ago and am thrilled with the results. Silky smooth idle, improved power, quicker starts. My installation was very easy and only took about 2-3 hours, but then I spent a couple of hours removing the miles of vacuum hoses and wiring you don't need anymore.

Weber's tend to cause 258's to bog under full throttle since the stock fuel pump delivers fuel to the carb at about 5 psi, and the Weber is designed to operate best at 1.5-3.5 psi. For best performance install an adjustable fuel pressure regulator (I got mine at Discount Auto Parts, about $20) and install it between the fuel filter and the carb. I set mine at 2.5 psi at it runs great. I am so pleased with mine, that for my kind of wheeling, I wouldn't even consider replacing it with EFI.

There are a couple of thinks you need to do different when you install on an vehicle with an automatic, but as I recall, the instructions walk you through what's required.

G
#3 ·
One more thing I nearly forgot, the choke on my Weber did not come properly adjusted from the factory. If you have starting problems after your install, check and make sure the choke is operating properly. There was a thread on this board some time back on choke adjustment, so do a search and I'm sure you can find it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.