Off Roading Forums banner

dana 60r 44f, help

464 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  jeepgod 
G
#1 ·
i have been looking for a jeep truck with 4.10's and a dana 60r 44f. i have come across a 76 j20. the guy said it needed work, i called and he didnt know what axles it had under it. but he was selling the truck whole. it has a new 4bbl carb, running 360, broken tranny, new tires and wheels...and he wants 500$ for it. should i jump all over this, i mean is it going to have the axles i want, or should i not waste the drive to go look at it

81 cj-7,360,SOA,35's,locked rear,fullcage

#2 ·
ok that j-20 should have.. front d44, disk brakes, open knuckle, six lug.. rear should have a dana 60, semi-floating, one piece axles, 12" drum brakes.. the gears where 3.07 & 3.54 standard and 3.73 & 4.09 option

the d44 rear ended in '74, and your semi floating dana 60's were in the heavy duty option only 1/2 ton & 3/4 ton, full floating d60 in the 1 ton

pre '74 had 5 on 5 & 1/2 lug pattern.. after that they went to a 6 lug..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G
#3 ·
thanks for the info,
but my chiltons say's contrary. it says that a 76 3/4 j20 has 44f and 60r i dont know about the ff or sf, or about the gears, but i have been told that 3/4 j20's have d44f and d60r from 74-80, and should be 6 lug....does anybody have any opinions on this

#4 ·
Ive never seen a a J20 ( 3/4 ton) with an AMC 20 rear, they all got Dana 60s as far as i know, they also should be 8 lug axles

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces

G
#5 ·
Keith the info that I hava says that it could be a Dana 44 or a 60 SF or a 60 FF. The factory numbers for gear ratio that I have says 3.73 4.10 or 4.88 for the 60. The 44 goes from 2.73 to 5.89 (?). The width that I have for the thing is 64.9 front and 65.9 rear. How far away does the guy live? For $500 it might be worth a drive. On a side note I tried to open my t-case but I will need a torch or an impact wrench to get the bolts loose. I did get mine to shift correct it was the plastic bushings and the linkage out of line. If you want to see the linkage let me know. Sorry I couldn't get the case open.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
WALSTIB/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G
#6 ·
tim,
well, sounds like i have a pretty good deal on my hands. i really hope it is a 60 w/good gearing. the guy only lives 40 mins down the road, its on my way home this weekend. i talked to my dad..about a loan..and he said it may work. that sucks bout your t case, i think that bushing is whats messed on mine...will fix this weekend. hey, question. will i need to drop the skid plate to drop the t case or can i get it out w/o removing it?

#7 ·
dang.. sorry about that.. guess i even contradicted myself.. mmmm.. dont know what i was thinking there... so i corrected it.. and it all matches now.. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.