Off Roading Forums banner

PTO winch

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
Hi All, i hope this subject isn't dead in the water...I just did a search on PTO
and i see that you all talked about it back in Dec.
I was wondering, were can i buy a PTO (new or used)? I have a NP435 and NP205 both will accept a PTO. Also, which one gets the PTO tranny or t/c?

thanks

Rob

#2 ·
this is just me thinking again.......it's dangerous to take it too seriously.. i have seen old wreckers a few times in the junkyards with the 50,000lb pto winch still in them.. i toyed with the idea of making a recovery vehicle out of a quadra-track jeep by using the pto output off the x-fer case gear reduction unit, and mounting the GIANT winch where the back seat was and dropping the tailgate to run the cable out.. it would be kinda heavy for real world use though.. you could maybe take about 200 feet of cable off the spool to lighten it up..

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....see it at http://www.jeepgod.net

#3 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif As they say in Washington DC: /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif"Senator! I'm glad you asked me that!"/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif There are zillions of PTO units available at any good truck parts outfit. You will have to order the correct one for your application....that is the one which will work with the NP435 or the 205... You will have to decide which side to put it on if there are two doors on the main box, and you will need to decide if it has to be reversing or just single direction. You will need to decide if the PTO needs to be a two-speed, or single-speed. They have PTO units which engage with a cable control, and with a lever. They even have PTO units with air engagement. If you use the main box, the PTO speed will be strictly dependent on the engine RPM.....if the PTO is on the transfer case, the PTO speed will depend on engine RPM...AND...which GEAR the main box is in. So you can see that transfer case or brownie-mounted PTO units have a certain advantage sometimes. They even make what they call a "Power Tower" for a brownie which enables you to take very high horsepower loads off the brownie by replacing the entire top cover with a bolt-on PTO. There is also what they call a "Wet Kit" which is a setup that enables you to drive hydraulic stuff off the transmission by using a combination PTO-Hydraulic Pump unit that hangs on the gearbox. Dump trucks use them and so do trucks with hydraulic winches and other hydraulic components. Modern tow trucks will sometimes have those and in other cases will have belt-driven units if the truck has an automatic tranny for instance. The PTO or power steering pump driven winch vs electric driven winch thing has been kicked around quite a bit on Jeep boards AND around the campfire. You just have to understand that they all have their place. If you want to anchor your Jeep and pull sixteen other Jeeps up the same hill, then with a PTO setup, the ONLY limitation is the heat buildup in the worm gear. If you have PTO/Hydraulic or PS Pump/Hydraulic, the oil temp is the limitation, if you are direct electric, the batteries will be the limitation. If you pick up any magazine and look at trail run photos, you will see that a lot of Jeeps get in trouble in seriously off-camber situations, and IN THAT CASE, running the engine may be out of the question, so any engine-driven winch won't be of any help.....just something to think about./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

G
#4 ·
Thanks guys!
I think I'll stick to the electic winch. This is the first time i ever had a PTO option and... it seemed pretty cool. I guess that is why we build jeeps!
I find myself in a lot of off camber situations, (the best kind). I think a nice 8274 will do the trick :)

Rob

G
#6 ·
you know Mark, some day i may just do that... i always find one more thing that has to be done :) It must be that Jeep thing that few understand :)
BTW are you doing the 2000 challenge with NE4W this 17,18 &19th ?
Should be a lot of fun... I think i'll be ready for it.
Just finished with my twin shifter for the 205... very nice. i took out the pin in the inside. So now i have indendent front and rear. I can accully put it in hi in the front and low in the rear or visa versa...not that i would do something like that... but it's good to be independent. I mean just in case for some reason I could free up the rear and just drive the front... i can't wait to play with it... it never ends!

Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.