Off Roading Forums banner

GPS Degradation?

454 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
Does anyone know if it is true that the US is taking off the intentional GPS degradation tonight at midnight? I heard rumor of it.

#2 ·
Thats correct...the actual time is midnight on Friday. If you have a GPS you will now be within 10m rather than 100m. In 1996 the Klintonian administration gave the military up to 10 years to turn off the spoofing capability, well the military figured out that they will be able to deny GPS regionally and therefore can shut off the degradation capability earilier, as early as Friday! The bad news is that this will cost the taxpayers in a big way. The military now has to spend money on projects that deny GPS to our advarsaries. Because, guess what...the enemy now has the same capability as the US using our system...

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
JK
O|||O
78CJ5 360

G
#5 ·
They did. I checked my Garmin, and VERY little position and elevation wandering. WAY better than before. Now the elevation is damn close to what it should be. Before the elevation was so far off as to be nearly unusable

G
#6 ·
I'm getting my GPS out tommorrow. I want to see my GPS read the actual elevation for once instead of when I'm in the mountains and it reading 800 feet or when I'm boating and it says I'm at -350 feet below sea level. I really want to see this.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
WALSTIB/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.