Off Roading Forums banner

Noticeable clunck in my Dana44's.(Quadratrac) Advice pls

2K views 6 replies 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
Noticeable clunck in my Dana44\'s.(Quadratrac) Advice pls

I just returned to the road, a rebuilt (now fiberglass) 1979, cj7, 258 inline 6, with a TH400 Auto and Quadratrac,w/reduction transfer case. Stock Dana 30's and Dana 44's. The only notable modification made was a 1 and 7/8 shackle lift. Now, that I've been driving my "Work in Progress" I have found whenever I make a moderately sharp turn, (right or left) I'ved noticed a "clunk" or "jump" in the rear end. At 1st, I thought the problem was in the rear end itself, so I swapped in another Dana 44 axle/differential that I knew was in good working order, only to find, I had not eliminated the problem. Also want to add, both front and rear axles have the same gear ratio (to the best of my knowledge) and both drive shafts have new U-joints.
Do I have to shim the rear end to get a better angle on the drive shaft because of the shackle lift? and if so, how much is recommended? Or, could it be, my rear drive shaft is simply out of alignment, ie.. out of balance? Oh... that lousy (clunk/jump) isn't present while driving straight ahead or during a wide turn, (like a right or left turn at an intersection). Any advice on how to eliminate that damn clunk would greatly welcomed.

DrummondCJ

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Re: Noticeable clunck in my Dana44\'s. Advice pls

Are you sure its in the rear end and not the Q-trac?? That clunking on the turns sounds like the ol' chain slipping over a cog in in the quadratrac... a common problem with the q-trac because the chain stretches with wear. A new chain will solve that problem.
The stock rear axle for the q-trac was the passenger side offset AMC 20. You have a "stock" Dana 44 rear axle, not the offset AMC 20 that came stock with the quadratracs? Does the D44 have a centered differential? If so, maybe your problem is the driveshaft angle from the passenger side output of the Q-trac to the centered diff D44.
Hope this helps,
Shain

G
#3 ·

To be honest, I guess I've always thought the rear end was a Dana 44,,,<grin>. The differential is offset to the passenger side, and is stock, so I guess I'd better start calling it a Dana 20... thanks. As to the noise, the clunking seems to be coming from the area near the rear drive shaft and rear differential, however, in thinking about it, ya, it could be from the transfer case. Now you mention it, I seem to recall reading some place about the Quadratrac having "slip-stick"..or something to that effect. Is this what your refering to? I mean, if was just the chain being loose and jumping a cog, wouldn't I notice it under varied driving conditions,,ie straight ahead, etc... The only time I notice the problem, is on slow tight turns, and when it happens, I feel the jeep shudder or "jump" and hear a fairly loud clunk. ---- Hey, thanks for feedback, for some reason I really didnt consider the transfer case as being a possible culprit. you've given me something new to check out.

DrummondCJ

G
#4 ·

DrummondCJ:
If your rear axle is the stock axle that came with the quadratrac its an AMC20 (big round cover offset to passenger side), not a Dana44 or Dana20 (Dana20 is a transfer case). Your problem may not be the q-trac, but it sounds characteristically quadratrac. Those chains wear over time and begin to slip. They wont do it all the time but under hard acceleration or hard turns (something about the torque on 'em then) they will jump the cogs giving your that clunking sound and shudder. Ask anyone whose ever owned a q-trac /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif. I busted my chain under hard acceleration and exploded my case...dont do that /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif. Slip stick is something different.

Seems like you can check the chain slack through an access hole in the t/case. Check a Haynes manual, it ought to be described there (its been awhile since I had a q-trac). The chain only lasts 75,000 miles or so. New ones cost about $90-100. You may be able to swap the chain out with the unit still in the jeep. You'll have to take off the low range unit and then split the case to access the chain. Haynes ought to detail that too. Another option is to pick up a replacement, they're pretty cheap. Saw Chuck Hadley or someone was GIVING a couple away.

CJDave and the other guys on this board that still have quadra tracs can give you a lot more and a lot better advise than I can. Do a search in this BBS on quadratracs and you should get a wealth of info. The off-road.com jeep tech pages ought to have some info too. Change the heading of your question to q-tracs and those guys ought to come swarming in to your rescue...they're kinda a cult within the jeep cult /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif.

The quadratrac may not be your problem but if your u-joints are good and you dont have excessive slack in the rear axle yoke, I bettin' its the q-trac chain.
Hope this helps.
Shain

#5 ·

if there is no noise when you're accelerating hard from a stop, then it's not the chain. that's the first condition that you will notice it in. your noise sounds like the clutches sticking in the transfer case, ie. slip stick. just turn a few circles a few times a week and it will get a little better. make sure you are using quadratrac fluid and it is full. my clutches are worn out so i don't have that problem but i was using my spare case a few months ago while replacing the chain and it had this condition. it stuck enough that i could drive without the front driveshaft and the transfer case unlocked as long as i was easy on the gas. (had to take the shaft out and transfer case would not lock.)

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D

G
#6 ·

Maybe overlooking the obvious, like I did. Check to make sure your u-joints are bolted down all around. I had this same thing just a couple of weeks ago and was told to do this--it worked. Hope this is it.
--Chase

G
#7 ·

Frist off, I want to thank you all for the advise, Shain, you are right, it is the AMC20. Should have known, I guess; but didnt.<grin>,,,wont make that mistake twice, thanks. Earlier this afternoon, I did run a search on quadratracs, like you mentioned, and did glean a WEALTH of info,( like learning for the first time, how that transfer case really works.). Back to the problem; Just got out from underneath my "work in progress", wanted to double check the U-bolts like ChaseJeep7 suggested,(after working on my "project" for the past number of months, I've learned I'm never sure of anything till I go back and double check it) ---the U-bolts were nice and tight.
Based on what I read during my earlier search, written by fellows like WILL, CJDave and others, (lets talk some serious quadratrac knowledge) I guessing its its probably the clutches..or brake cones?. The transfer case in question, has been out of operation for about two years, so I guess I hoping thats all the problem is, like mentioned earlier, the only time I seem to encounter the problem is during a slow , fairly tight turn. I've ordered some quadratrc lube, so I can drain and refill the case with new oil. I'll run those circles like WILL suggested and find out if the condition improves. I'll let you all know the results. Hey, I'm really serious when I say thanks for all the info, I've learned more about my quadratrac in the last few days, than I've ever learned in the past few years.

DrummondCJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.