Off Roading Forums banner

Stupid air filter question.

402 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
Went to the local Wally-world the other day (no, not for cool "moonguys" or anything fun like that), and picked up an air filter for my '76 CJ-7. According to both the tell-all computer and old-fashioned manual they had lying around, I picked up supposedly the 'correct' air filter for my Jeep. Well, upon installation, it is clearly not the correct filter. For one, it does not sit properly in the air cleaner pan assembly, and two, it is about 2 inches larger in width than the old filter that I am trying to replace, and therefore the cover can't be screwed back on the assembly. THe engine is the stock 258 and everything, so I'm just curious what brand and part number everyone else out there uses so I might get an idea of what to look for. I'd love to take the part number off the current filter I am trying to replace, but apparently the previous owner didn't believe in changing that part of the vehicle very often, and it's so old and deteriorated that I can't read the brand OR part number. Thanks for any assistance!

#3 ·
I agree about the K&N. I put one in a couple months ago. If you have Auto Zone nearby, check thier price. They were about 7 bucks cheaper than all other stores. They had to order me one, but it only took a couple days. I always use K&N's. It's nice not having to ever change my air filter again. It's only like 30 bucks for one, so I'd get it.

Sean

#4 ·
why not measure it and go try to match the measurements,or take it with you, go an auto parts store as opposed to Wally World and ask them to match it up....dont forget to write it down when you figure it out.LOL

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it

G
#5 ·
I have a 79 and the fram # is CA184. I know the k&n is the best way to go also
but I have kids and the 3 dollar filter compared to the 30 dollar filter can be replaced once a year for 10 years at this cost. Hope this is the right one for you which I belive will be. LOL

79 CJ5 258 firecracker red

G
#6 ·
Thanks for the responses, I've taken note! Eventually I plan to go with a higher output carb. and would therfore also switch over a K&N and larger air cleaner assembly at that time. In the meantime, I'm just trying to get by with what I do have and that means going along with swcobb and using a Fram or equivalent seeing as they are relatively inexpensive. Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.