Off Roading Forums banner

New Jeep, Need Info!

414 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  TEX 
#1 ·
A friend liked my jeep so much he and his grandson have bought one and are going to build one. He bought a 1989 YJ with a 4.2L, 5 spd, etc. Jeep seems to be in good condition, 150K on odometer, but runs like a top. I believe it has POS D35 axle, don't know anything about which tranny it is, or t-case. 3:73 gears are in it.

Any input as to what some of the running gear may be, and what the best/most prudent early conversions should be.

P.S. originally they were looking at some newer YJ's, but the prices and options and comments received from this forum convinced them otherwise.

Thanks

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (& rocks & rivers & mountians etc, You get the picture.)

#2 ·
Providing it is all stock it will have an AX15 tranny,(medium duty)if late year production, or BA/10 Peugot tranny/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif if early year production. NP231 transfer case. The axles will be D30 up front with disconnect, (vaccume operated) and D35 rear. You can take a look here to get the right ID on the tranny.
Tranny's

GP'n

#3 ·
thanks!

What are the Pro's and Con's of the vacuem disconnect?

I take it the NP231 will need the slip yoke eliminater kit when they install a lift kit?

Anything else that needs to be known about this model?

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (& rocks & rivers & mountians etc, You get the picture.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.