Off Roading Forums banner

What motor is this?

863 views 21 replies 2 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
G
#2 ·
GMC 270 6-cyl? Looks a lot like the old Chevy 235 but has the intake and exhaust on the other side? Oooh, maybe not. I don't think that one had a cross-flow head. Hmmmmmmmmmm. What L-6 had a cross-flow head with the intake on the pass side? That's a good one!

And from the look of it, the Exhaust is in the block. Some kind of an F-head 6? 'Trational?

What trans is it hooked up to?

Jason '87YJ
(350/NP435/D300twinstick/SOA/GM14-FF-Detroit/D44-Lock-Right/M8274)

#4 ·
Mr.Max sent me those mails too,
I thought it was a willys L6 226 hurricane, before I realized the distributer is in the wrong place.

it looks JUST like a flat head willys in any 50s-60s truk like ive ever worked , except for he odd distributer placement.

same carb and linkage even!

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces

#6 ·
Im not old enough to even know what those cars look like, much less the engines tex!!!

Im sure somebody will know

OzarkJeep

#8 ·
He sent me these pix as well. I think it's an early version or a foreign version of the 232/258.

Bill said his Brazilian Jeep was a 1976 model version of the CJ-5 or 7. At that time, Ford didn't own Willys Brasil (or whatever the corporate name was in '76) then. At the time, it had ties to AMC. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

#9 ·
well, an earlier version of the AMC "I" head 232/258 would have to have its roots in some tpye of american probably Willys L'" or "f" head 6 cylinder ouwldnt it?

its years before a 232/258..some kind of flathead..maybe a Contential

OzarkJeep

#10 ·
Actually, Ozark, TEX mentioned Nash. I think the 232/258 roots go there./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

PS I'd bet CJDAVE would know for sure!! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

#11 ·
from 1948-1956 ( in USA) willys made 2 6 cylinder engines F head and L head, 148.5 cubic inches, and the other 161 Cu inches.
station wagons/pickups/Jeepster VJ models ( in the USA)

they changed from L head to F head in 1952

Id BET IT ALL that its one of these engines, i looked a L6 226 hurricane again, its totally differnt ( i was going on old mental pictures!)

148.5, or 161 Willys F head

OzarkJeep

#12 ·
I know that Willys Motors introduced the F head 4 cylinder in 1952 in the CJ-3B. (Willys Motors was actually the merged company with Kaiser). I recall from reading about Jeep history that it wasn't until 1956 or 57 that the pick ups and station wagons got the L head 6 cyl 226 "Super Hurricane" (the name given to the F head 4 cyl was "Hurricane", and the original L head 4 cylinder was "Go Devil"). I don't recall displacements of 148.5 or 161 but I'll look it up. Perhaps those were the Kaiser engine displacements; I don't think Kaiser engines were used in the Jeeps.

Bill told me he was planning to bring the oil pump from the Jeep with him on a trip to the US in the next month or so. I am hoping we can help him determine what exactly his engine is./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

#13 ·
the 2 engines I was talking about were 6 cylinder engines, the engine in Bills photo is a 6 cylinder right?
they were willys engines, and they were used in the jeeps I listed above, in the USA at least

look at page 71 in Moses Ludels's Jeep Owners bible

OzarkJeep

#14 ·
They are, indeed, listed on pg.71 of the Ludel book. However, if you thumb through the subsequent chapters, you will find that is the only mention of them. The 148.5 and the 161 are not included anywhere else in the book; if they exist, they are the only engines not having a picture in there, if you discount the rare diesels in Jeep history, the 2.1 Renault in some Canadian XJs and a170 cid that was used in the military version of the FC Cab Forward series for instance.

I checked the two books by Jim Allen (Classic 4x4s and the Jeep Performance Handbook)and The Story of Jeep by Patrick Foster and there is no mention of these engines. Have you seen something on these engines from any other source?

#15 ·
No, Ive been looking for that "Willie Worthy" engine blurb from years back..i cant seem ti find it in my stack of mags..hmmm
BIlls engine has many similarities to a L6 226, even shares some components
, so from that Ill assume the engine in the pic is a willys designed flat head 6 cylinder, and since those are the only 2 that i can find to be OTHER willys flathead 6s it looks like a logical connection to me.

maybe there is no mention of them anywhere else because they were all exported?
wasnt there another engine used in some other countries, maybe that 170 Falcon engine or something?
was IT a flathead?

OzarkJeep

G
#17 ·
Having never seen a 161 engine I would venture to say that this is it or a close cousin. Did you all notice the Jeep cast into the head in the second picture to the left of the oil filter? So I would say yes this is a Jeep motor. The look that this engine has very much looks like my F head 134's even to the front mounting plate.

mcj115 1952 M38A1(2),1964 CJ6,1966 CJ5,1979 CJ7 360 33's, Bantam trailer, M416 trailer and...

#19 ·
No, F-75 doesn't ring any bells with me. You know, I can't understand why the current Jeep manufacturer in Brazil would be unable to get this oil pump for Bill, regardless of who the current owners are. I can go to any Jeep dealer and get parts for the CHEVY built 2.8L in my Cherokee./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Unfortunately, my Jeep reference books deal mainly with US models. The only information on the Brazilian ones is in the Foster book and it has no lists of engines used./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

Matt, I would be interested in any info you can come up with concerning the 148.5 and 161 engines. Until now, I never knew they existed./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G
#20 ·
Hey Guys - Thanks to all of you participating in this discussion. I didn't know I had such a rare bird - or at least such an uncommon one. Would serial numbers or casting numbers help? If you tell me what you need, I'll be happy to look for the info.
Bill

#21 ·
Bill,
Obviously, you have spoken to somebody down there about your engine and where to get a replacement oil pump. Did they recommend anything, besides posting here, of course? /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

As far as having a rare one, your engine is probably common to many Brazilian CJs; it is just unusual to us. /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

What is the wheelbase of your Jeep? The two wheelbases for American built CJ-5s are 81" and 84". The wheelbase was lengthened to 84" in the early 1970s so that the bigger AMC engines would fit. If your wheelbase is 84", it might be an indication of an AMC lineage engine, where a 81" might mean a Willys/Kaiser one.

G
#22 ·
From the looks of the pics there of the engine it appears that the wheel base is 81" not 84". This is what it appears to me, I cannot be for certian because the pic does not capture enough of the fender to tell. Also in 76 that is fairly soon after AMC took over Kaiser in 72 so I would say as Brasil being a smaller market they could not justify changing tooling to the newer style frame. Just my guess

mcj115 1952 M38A1(2),1964 CJ6,1966 CJ5,1979 CJ7 360 33's, Bantam trailer, M416 trailer and...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.