Off Roading Forums banner

QUESTIONS ABOUT 97TJ

350 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  InfantryYJ 
G
#1 ·
Just got a 97TJ it has a 2.5l / 4 banger what can i do to get better gas mileage and more power i have put a K&N air filter and 32x11.50 bfg"s
it has great tourge. The speed is real slow with the tires any suggestions????

#2 ·
First, what are you getting for gas mileage? I'm assuming 18 to 20 mpg average, which isn't bad, especially for a jeep.

You're asking the all time question, "How do I get good mileage with the power of a Yugo and the aerodymanics of a brick?" You can't. The problem is twofold. First, you're underpowered. Short of another motor or a supercharger, mods aren't going to help. Second, your aerodymanics suck, but there's nothing you can do about them, it's a jeep. This is why the 4.0 gets about the same mileage as the 2.5, it uses more fuel, but works less hard at moving the same mass (jeep). With the exception of a newer, larger engine (Vortec maybe), you really won't be able to do anything. But with the $$$ I'm talking about, you'd be better off in a new TJ with a larger motor.

You can try changing gearing to match the 32's, bring everything back in line with the original tires and gearing than came on it. With the 4 cyl you have 4.10's, so I would change to 4.56 or 4.88's, but I doubt it'll gain you that much of an advantage, it'll just make the jeep more "friendly" to drive. Sorry there is no easy solution.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

#3 ·
I told you to get the six cylinder!!!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

I may not like what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Semper Jeep

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.