Off Roading Forums banner

Power steering lines

369 views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  ducmon900 
#1 ·
Picking up all the pieces to convert my 78 to power steering and I noticed that the pump has a line that looks like its brazed into the assembly and their is about a three or four inches of it where it broke. Just wondering how I should go about fixing it. I thought about a hose clamp but I doubt if that would work. Thought about getting a fitting and trying to flange it or something. Need help i'm running out of ideas.

G
#2 ·
There should be two lines on the p/s pump. One should screw in with a fitting, and the other should slide onto the pump and be hose clamped. The one that is hose clamped is the low pressure return line...the part of the pump that it clamps to is about 1.5" long and is welded to the pump resoirvor. The second line should not be brazed, but should be screwed in. You should be able to just unscrew it and buy a new line. Check for a fitting at the back of the pump where a wrench would attach...you will probably want to use a pipe fitting wrench if possible. If, for some reason, the hose fitting was brazed to the pump, look in your yellow pages for either a hydraulic shop, a hose shop, or a place that sells heavy equipment (farm or construction). Take the pump and hose there, and they should be able to cut and splice the hose together with one of those fancy crush compression fittings...I don't think you'd want to try one of those barbed hose splices with a hose clamp if it's the high pressure line.

Evolution of tools: stone, hammer, wrench, socket, impact, really big hammer, blue wrench.

#3 ·
Your absolutely right farmjeep, one has a fitting the other just has the tube. Thats good I'll just need a hose clamp and I'll be in business. I wasn't sure because I got all the brackets with the pump, but it looks they were in a hurry on the hoses, and I wasn't sure how the one (return line) attached. Their is a shop down the road thats pretty reasonable on hoses, at least they were when I ran heavy equipment. Cool, thanks a bunch farmjeep! later ken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.