Off Roading Forums banner

Repairing Trails in Tellico

428 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
Wow, what a string on the posting of "Killing Trees in Tellico." Now how about some ideas on how to remedy the lost of trees/anchor points on favorite trails. The errosian problem is constantly being worked on by local clubs having trail repair days in Tellico. The Rangers have provided expertise on run-off containment and you will find silt traps all along the trails. But what can we put in place to salvage the remaining trees along side the tough spots? Not too many years ago most of these trails were do-able with 33", now most everyone runs 35" or bigger to have any chance of tackling the challenge spots.(So much for me coming back with my project CJ2A with 31"! go retro)
Would love to hear some comments, ideas, suggestions to pass on the clubs for trail maintenance. The alternative method by the rangers is to close the trail or reroute it and let nature heal itself.
-Will

#2 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif What about a cushion of some kind that can stay right there on the trees. It would have to be something that allows tree growth....doesn't provide a haven for insects, and would be sturdy enough to withstand small diameter wire rope and all sorts of chokers./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

#4 ·
That would be the ticket. They would need to apply some artificial bark, I know its available, we had to use it on any oak trees we knicked durring a construction project in Oakhurst, Ca.. The fake bark has to be treated with an insecticide and other agents to promote healing and prevent parasite infestation.
The next step would be to install anchor points at all of the obviouse places, and mark them well.
Step 3 make the public aware of the new proceedures, and the dire consequences of failure to comply.
Finaly fine any clubs or individuals who are incapable of complying. Ignorance could not be allowable as a defense.
Who knows maybe our kids will be able to wheel in a healthy thriving forrest, sometime in the future. Or we could just take a bunch of pictures and tell them what we used to have before we destroyed it in our relentless quest of hedonism.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.

#5 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif You could always get real "Alley Oop" about it and simply drop a circle of chain loosely around the tree that was threaded through some old suction hose, and then WELD the chain together with a obvious, visible loop to hook to. That way it would STAY there, and it would be easier to hook to than snatching the tree. If you looked around, you could find suitable chain....or CABLE if it was galvanized....for little or no money, and just mass produce the circles and then take a day and a good welderjeep and install them./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

G
#7 ·
Permanent anchors I agree are the answer. The terrain is rocky with clay. Not sure how you go about driving a pipe or rod thru it. It is not the same as drilling solid rock, this stuff breaks loose into large sections usually 2 to 3 ft square. I will forward this information on to the associated clubs who do trail days. Thanks,
-Will

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.